#050 Diglett

Diglett, the Mole Pokémon. It spends much of its time underground, and has very thin skin. If Diglett is exposed to sunlight, its blood will heat up and cause it to grow weak. Diglett digs regularly through the earth at a shallow depth, leaving perfectly tilled soil in its wake. Diglett lives in tunnels and caves under the earth, where it feeds on tree roots. It also sometimes lives in burrows near forests, and has even been shown to live inside of trees.

Nurse Isabelle had been in Vermillion City's Pokémon centre when the earthquake hit during the night. Such events were rather rare, so it should be no surprise everyone in the town was alarmed. Helping the Joys on duty, Isabelle spent a while, long before dawn, soothing panicked residents. Just around dawn, Isabelle managed to lay down for a while and sleep an hour or two before she was called by Officer Jenny. There had been collapses in Diglett's cave. Izzy was asked to join a Ranger and make their way through the cave to look for any injured Pokémon, since earthquakes were disastrous for digging Pokémon.

Awfully sleepy, Isabelle made her way to the entrance of the cave, yawning. In front of the cave stood a man she was actually acquainted with. Despite her exhaustion, she smiled at him.

"Good morning, Dominic," she said. He turned at the sound of her voice, smiled brightly at him as if he'd slept perfectly fine, and surprised her by giving her a quick hug.

"Hey there, Isabelle. So you're the nurse I've been assigned to? Can't say I'm disappointed, working with you over one of those identical Joys." Wearing a white t-shirt, Isabelle could finally see he was decently muscled from his work as a Ranger. His arms were nicely sculpted, but she didn't have much time to inspect them.

With a hard hat to protect them from falling rocks, the two descended into the cave. While Dom kept an eye out on where to walk and where not, because of collapsed tunnels and all, Isabelle checked on the Diglett around. None of them seem to be injured, just shaken and a bit agitated. However, they'd settle soon when the earth would no longer tremble with aftershocks. Steady as the earth itself, those Ground-types were.

Because of the earthquake, many Diglett had stuck their little heads out of the ground to see what's going on, making it incredibly hard to walk through the cave. Izzy desperately wished to avoid stepping on one of those little moles, whose chanting made her smile.

With a lot of 'digladee digladee' on the background, Isabelle looked over to smile at Dominic. He seemed so cool and in control, always looking out for her as he tried to avoid her tripping or getting hurt. It was touching.

Way too soon, they reached the other end of the cave, where they had to say goodbye. Isabelle had to call in her findings at the Pewter Pokémon centre, and Dom was needed elsewhere. Shaking each other's hands, they said their goodbyes. Isabelle watched him leave with a strange feeling in her stomach. She'd miss his presence, even though they didn't talk much in the cave.