#087 Dewgong

Dewgong, the Sea Lion Pokémon. The evolved form of Seel. Dewgong loves to snooze on bitterly cold ice. The sight of this Pokémon sleeping on a glacier was mistakenly thought to be a mermaid by a mariner long ago. Its body is covered with a pure white fur. The colder the weather, the more active it becomes.

With Wartortle at her side, Nurse Isabelle walked through the streets of Cerulean City Centre. Around a square in the center of town uncountable stalls had been erected. Among them there were, of course, food stalls that offered all kinds of snacks for both humans and Pokémon. With her team in mind, Isabelle purchased small bags of food, for a Grass-type, a Flying-type, and a Fire-type. She offered to get Wartortle some, too, but the Water-type was too excited to eat.

Other stalls sold ribbons, dresses, and other clothing for both human and Pokémon. There was shell polish, rock polish, brushes, and anything else one can imagine in Pokémon care. Being a nurse, she had most of these items already, so she did not need these fancier ones; much to Wartortle's chagrin.

Ahead, there were advertisements of the main event of the beauty convention: a beauty competition. That drove Wartortle entirely wild. As soon as Isabelle read the poster to her, she started yanking on Izzy's sleeve and exclaiming excitedly while pointing at the competition and herself.

"Don't tell me you want to join?" Wartortle nodded furiously. "I don't know how to be in a competition, especially a beauty competition! The best I can do for you is to buy us tickets so you can watch, maybe even meet the contestants. As a Nurse, I can possibly get inside."

Although Wartortle was very disappointed in the fact that she would not be joining today, the idea to get behind the scenes was enough to keep her from moping. As they walked on, towards the stadium, they passed a fountain. There, a girl was shrieking as if she was set on fire, or doused with cold water. Upon approaching the ruckus, it appeared to the latter. In the fountain in the middle of the square was a gorgeous Dewgong. He was in the water, enjoying the spray from the spouts. The water made his pure white fur glisten gorgeously. The girl standing near the fountain looked furious. She was dressed in a pink ball gown and absolutely soaking wet.

"Come on, Dewgong! Stop playing! We need to get ready for the competition!"

"Dew gong-gong-gong!" He cried out happily,

"What's going on?" Isabelle asked as she approached, lifting Wartortle on the edge of the fountain where she sat primly. Behind her, Dewgong was still enjoying the torrent of the water spouts.

"Dewgong and I were supposed to enter the beauty competition but he never listens!" The girl stomped her foot. "He'd rather play in the water or chase others than sit still and look pretty or do as I ask."

The girl did not look much older than 16. But with her soaked dress and her uncooperative Pokémon, she looked close to tears.

"Let me tell you what. My Wartortle here would love to join, but I'm no Coordinator. I'm just a Nurse. What if I watch over your Dewgong for you and you go win this competition with Wartortle? How's that? Okay with you, Wartortle?"

Both the girl and the turtle gasped in unison.

"Really? That'd be great!"

"Wartortle! Wartortle!"

That's how Isabelle found herself holding a Pokéball that was not her own in the audience of some stadium. It was actually rather fun to watch. While some treated their Pokémon in a questionable manner, most Coordinators had given their Pokémon lots of love and care and it showed. Most Pokémon used were of the naturally pretty kind: Meowth and Persian, Vulpix and Ninetales, Ponyta and Rapidash, among others. Then the girl and Wartortle were up. She had polished Wartortle's shell, brushed out her tail, and even gave her a very pretty ice-blue ribbon. But the thing that made Wartortle look the prettiest was the look of intense happiness on her face. It charmed the judges, too, since some other Pokémon looked like they'd rather not be there.

As Isabelle watched the girl, who apparently was called Rosalind, she reflected on Wartortle's future. It was very clear Wartortle was much happier with Rosalind than she'd ever been with Izzy. Pensively, she stroked Dewgong's Pokéball. After the competition, which Rosalind and Wartortle had won, Isabelle approached her with a smile, still holding the ball.

"Congratulations! Rosalind, right?"

"Thank you so much! Your Wartortle was amazing!" The girl gushed.

"Yes, about that. This might come as a shock, but I'd like to propose a trade. Wartortle hasn't been happy as my Pokémon. As a nurse, my life is not very glamorous. More often than not, it's filthy and hard. Wartortle does not like that. She prefers to be pampered and beautiful, so to say. However, your Dewgong is very useful for that. He's very healthy and strong enough to carry me as I work in the water. So will you trade me your Dewgong for my Wartortle?"

The girl looked down at Wartortle for a moment, who actually looked rather hopeful, the little traitor. Then she faced Izzy and nodded. "Let's do it."

After they'd traded at the Pokémon centre, both Pokémon were released in the lobby. Isabelle knelt in front of Wartortle to give her one last hug.

"Farewell, Wartortle. It's been good having you. I hope Rosalind treats you well. Do you want to say goodbye to any of the team?" Wartortle shook her head. "Not even Dominic's Raichu?" She shrugged. Isabelle could tell she was actually trying to stay strong, maybe even reminding herself that this is what she wanted. "All right then. Maybe we'll see you soon." Isabelle stood up. "Rosalind. Let's exchange email addresses, so we know where to find each other if we feel the need to visit old friends again."

Rosalind, who had been hugging Dewgong, wiped her eyes and nodded. "Yeah, let's. Please take care of Dewgong for me. He might not have shown his best side today, but he's a sweetheart. I promise."

Isabelle smiled. "I believe you. Farewell, Rosalind. Dewgong, return."