#140 Kabuto

Kabuto, the Shellfish Pokémon. Kabuto has been thought to be extinct as of roughly 300 million years ago. In modern days, most living Kabuto are resurrected from fossils containing them, conveniently called 'dome fossils'. Considering the fact that Kabuto have been found fossilized lying on the ocean floor for millennia, they are thought to have lived on the beaches. It is also argued they have been fast and powerful swimmers. - Nurse Evergreen

With modern technology booming, more and more fossils have been resurrected into Pokémon. After Oak's Omanyte, more cases were reported of these Pokémon experiencing a massive culture shock. Interestingly enough, that suggests they have some sort of memory of their life before being turned into a fossil.

Nurse Isabelle wasn't sure what to think about resurrecting fossils. One part of her thought it to be amazing, but it did not entirely feel right. She'd heard of an author, who was busy writing a book series about a mad researcher resurrecting many extinct Pokémon and putting them in a park to be looked at on one of the islands, like some kind of twisted zoo. In his book, the Pokémon escape and murder everyone, because prehistoric Pokémon are nothing like the reasonably tame Pokémon that are living right now.

Walking over a familiar beach, Izzy saw a lighthouse up ahead. Bill had called her to show off that he had one of these Pokémon as well. The guy had been obsessed with Kabuto for as long as she'd known him, so Izzy could make a pretty decent guess which one he had managed to obtain. By now, Isabelle did not bother to knock anymore. Being one of major researchers in this region, Bill had received visits from Izzy quite often, since he had the tendency to call whenever he thought he had discovered something. It was together with Bill that the young nurse had published an article on how chemicals can change the colour of fire, even in Pokémon, with the blue-fired Ponyta Izzy owned as proof.

Opening the door, Isabelle noticed two things: one, Bill had a Kabuto; and two, Bill had a guest. While the researcher was gushing in excitement about the Pokémon on the table that was making clicking noises, Isabelle inspected the stranger, who gazed at her. With a leather jacket, tight trousers, and boots he either was very confident or tried to look like he was. He appeared younger than her, which was curious. His hair was an absolute mess of black curls, looking like he needed a haircut badly.

"Oh, I am not sure if you guys ever met. Mike, meet Isabelle Evergreen. She's a Pokémon Nurse. Isabelle, this is Mike, a Pokémon Hunter," Bill motioned with his hand as he introduced them, pointing to the wrong person at the wrong time, unfortunately. Upon learning his profession, Isabelle made a noise of insulted disgust.

"Pokémon Hunter? There are only two kinds of people that call themselves that: poachers or those that capture Pokémon for those too lazy to do it, entirely taking away the challenge of catching and training Pokémon. So, which are you?!"

Mike took a step back, surprised by her ferocity. "My sweet lady nurse, I assure you, I am no poacher. It is true that I do capture Pokémon for people too lazy to do it themselves but I despise them as much as you do. I simply love the thrill of the battle and the euphoria of the capture. That's why I made it my profession. As a nurse, I'm sure you'll be delighted to know that I first check the Pokémon Shelter Service before capturing a wild one. I try to play my part in giving discarded Pokémon a new home."

Isabelle huffed, but nodded. She disliked confessing she might have been in the wrong, so the least she could do was to grant him the benefit of the doubt. A second look at him made her realise his clothing was dirty and worn, possibly suggesting that Pokémon Hunting did not pay as much as nursing did.

At that moment, Kabuto leapt off the table, scurried between Izzy's legs and disappeared underneath something. At the sight of the shell with glowy eyes clicking its way towards her, Isabelle shrieked and jumped to the side, much too late of course. Mike laughed heartily, earning him a half-hearted glare.

"I had not expected a Nurse to be scared of anything!"

"Oh hush," Izzy replied. "I just find them unsettling, with their clicking noises and their pupil-less, glowing eyes. Unlike some kids, I was not fascinated by the extinct Pokémon when I was younger."

The Hunter chuckled. "Oh, I was one of them. I love Kabuto and its evolution. I think they're the best."

"Tastes differ, I suppose. I used to love Eevee, wishing to study how it changed to suit its surroundings better. Though trainers evolving Eevee in a certain way of their liking entirely defeats their purpose."

"Got it!" Bill emerged from underneath his computers, holding the Kabuto in his hands. At the sight of the little legs that were still moving as if it walked in the air, Isabelle shuddered, making Mike chuckle again.