#132 Ditto

Ditto, the Transform Pokémon. In its natural state, Ditto is a magenta, free-form blob, capable of transforming into an exact replica of any physical object. However, if Ditto tries to transform into something based on memory, it may get some of the details wrong. It has been observed that Ditto is unable to remain in a transformed state if it starts laughing. Ditto cannot mimic the strength of another Pokémon, but it will adapt to the physical form and abilities of its opponent. When two Ditto meet in the wild, they will attempt to transform into each other. Ditto will also transform into a rock or similarly unnoticeable object when sleeping to avoid attack. Ditto is never far from civilisation or people. – Nurse Evergreen

It only took one frustrating call and a dozen repeated questions to figure out where Wendy Foxglove was, but all of Nurse Isabelle's hard work was repaid when she saw her good friend again. The two young nurses had met near an undisturbed lake. Having access to the online databases of the nurses and rangers, Isabelle could find many interesting titbits of information.

The information database was set up like this: those who travelled, especially rangers, were implicitly expected to write about their findings and upload it in the database. Such findings include Pokémon-rich, undisturbed locations, which would have to be monitored against poachers and would need aid in the event of natural disasters. Those who were the smartest kept the maelstrom of information neatly sorted and accessible. Pokémon researchers and also nurses used this information on their jobs. Since Isabelle has left her stationary job to become a travelling nurse, she, too, was expected to write reports.

Isabelle had made a few pictures and a fitting article about her baby Lapras. After posting it, she had stumbled on an article about this lake. Wendy would much prefer the lake over the Pokémon centre, so they had decided to meet up there.

Being a bit early, Izzy sat down in the soft grass that surrounded the lake, near a spot where the reeds had thinned out enough to see out over the lake. Many Magikarp were swimming and flailing in the water. Interestingly enough, not all of them were purely red. Some had black or white spots, or some were even entirely white with merely some red spots. The entirely red ones did seem to be the dominant colour, though. If they wouldn't flail and splash so much, Izzy could almost imagine Magikarp to be pretty fish for some rich person's pond. Pulling a Pokéball from her belt, Izzy released her baby Lapras into the water. Stroking Lapras' head with a smile, Isabelle sat down in the grass as the water type experimentally tried her first open water, even if it was only a small lake. The Magikarp greeted it kindly, swimming around her. Poliwag showed up, too, and even a Goldeen or two put in an appearance. Being primarily a water-type this should feel natural, despite her not having a parent to raise her the normal way. If Izzy were to keep this Pokémon, it was essential that Lapras could interact with and tolerate every kind of Pokémon. Early exposure was of paramount importance.

Rustling to her right drew her attention. Someone walked over to where Izzy sat in the grass. The girl had messy, sandy hair and a crown of pink flowers on her head, probably self-braided. She wore a white dress with tiny, pink flowers and a sleeveless, denim jacket. She looked cute in her slightly bohemian way.

Wendy Foxglove sat down next to Izzy in the grass, smiling. Then she asked: "So, which one is yours?"

Confused, Izzy looked back at the water. Instead of one, there were now two baby Lapras! Dumbfounded, Izzy stood up, flicking her eyes between both the hatchlings, who both looked at her expectantly, having paused their playing.

"I ... ehm ... I don't know. There only was one a minute ago," Isabelle stammered.

"Oh, I know." Wendy also stood up and waded into the water, ignoring Izzy's protests. The Magikarp swam away, startled, but the two Lapras stayed where they were. When the water came to just above her hips, Wendy scooped the Lapras on the right in her arms. Then she turned, grinning like a little child. "This one is a Ditto!"

Isabelle eyed her suspiciously. It looked like a Lapras to her, though it was a bit suspicious all the spots were in exactly the same space. Usually, there was some variation among the members of the species.

With a flash, the Lapras in Wendy's arms transformed into a blob of goo that even Izzy recognised as a Ditto. The blonde sighed. Wendy had yet again proven her uncanny bond with Pokémon, able to see through a Ditto's transformation. The real Lapras swam closer, laying her wet head on Izzy's knee. Isabelle looked up with a smile and stroked her head.

"I'll be taking this," Wendy declared. Isabelle regarded her friend, standing in the lake with her dress wet and probably ruined, holding a soaked Ditto in her arms. That Ditto looked very happy to be there, though, cooing and making other sorts of sounds as Wendy stroked her hands over the goo.

"Congratulations. Another member of your team, hm? Who is with you by now?"

"Wiggly, Fetch, Licky, and now Ditto," the odd girl said, referring to her kind-natured Wigglytuff, her aggravating Farfetch'd, her peculiar Lickitung, and now this Ditto. The Pokémon suited her, though, in a way.