#136 Flareon

Flareon, the Flame Pokémon. One of the evolved forms of Eevee. It will fluff out its collar to cool down its high body temperature. This high temperature is caused by its internal flame sac. Flareon stores and heats inhaled air in this sac, and then exhales it as fire. Flareon is mostly found in populated areas, and is rarely seen in the wilderness. – Nurse Evergreen

The last team leader present at the new trainers' fair had to be Candela, from Team Valour. Their stall was bright red with a fiery bird as their mascot. They were not hard to find.

Candela stood tall on her heels, despite the downtrodden grass, overlooking a practice battle. With a fierce look on her face, she inspected the trainers' techniques and Pokémon, occasionally giving orders in a curt voice. Very little escaped her notice. When the victory was achieved, she nodded with a slight smile on her lipsticked lips.

Isabelle approached her as the crowd had dispersed. "Candela? I am Nurse Isabelle Evergreen. You're the leader of Team Valour?"

The mocha-skinned woman looked over and nodded with a smile. "That's right." Down at her tights-clad legs, a Flareon was pleading for attention, rubbing his head against her legs like a Persian would do. Candela crouched a little to rub his head. "We of Team Valour seek to find the true strength of Pokémon, which takes skill and passion to discover. Few will recognise the hidden strength of the Magikarp, but those who do are able to raise it to the powerful Gyarados it can be."

Isabelle looked at her thoughtfully. "What if there's a Pokémon who's skittish? One who'd run away from battles or shy away from danger?"

"You have such a Pokémon, I take it?" Candela had quite a piercing stare, which made her a little uncomfortable, as if Isabelle had not been raising her Pokémon well. It probably worked wonders on young trainer that lost sight of their Pokémon's needs in their quest to obtain all the badges needed.

"Yes, I have her here." Isabelle took a Pokeball from her belt and summoned Ponyta. The blue colour of her fiery mane drew some attention. Even after so long, Ponyta flinched slightly when Izzy laid her hand on her neck.

"Gorgeous. She's exquisite. That pure white coat with that fire. It's so much hotter than what I've seen before. She's quite a catch." Clearly, Candela was in awe as she approached the horse slowly.

"She's beautiful, yet she's kicked me off many times whenever she gets startled. Whether it's a Gastly bothering her or a Rattata crossing the road, she has no self-confidence, nor the poise to keep going. I do believe that once we manage to sooth her fears, she can evolve into a Rapidash, but until then, she's stuck in this form. Too scared for personal growth, if you get what I mean?"

Candela nodded, stroking Ponyta's nose while cooing softly at her. "I love fire-types. I should not be biased, but dealing with them comes naturally to me. Have you been to Cinnabar to speak to Blaine or one of his trainers? He's the fire-type gym leader."

Isabelle confirmed that she had. They discussed some more ideas, yet the solution was far from clear or simple. "She's quite young, though. Maybe she'll mature with age?"

As children got closer, wishing to pet the horse-y without asking Isabelle for permission, Ponyta grew restless. Fearing she'd kick out and harm a kid, Izzy summoned her back. There was a collective 'aww' noise and people walked away, disappointed.

Candela rested the curve of her behind on the stall's table, looking at the young nurse. "The only advice I can give you is to have faith in your Pokémon's strength. Be strong for her and she can follow from your confidence. Be patient and understanding. Be persistent. Very few Pokémon are hard to raise, but once in a while, a challenge comes along. Welcome the challenge and both you and your Pokémon will grow from it."

Isabellesmiled and nodded. "Thank you, Candela. Have a good day."