#009 Blastoise

Blastoise, the Shellfish Pokémon. The final evolution of Squirtle and the evolved form of Wartortle. The powerful cannons on this Pokémon's back are capable of producing water blasts that can pierce steel and concrete. Blastoise deliberately makes itself heavy to withstand these powerful blasts, and it will crush its opponents with its bulk. Blastoise can take the role of a leader in large groups of Squirtle and Wartortle. Its preferred habitat seems to be freshwater ponds and lakes.

"Excuse me!" A male voice called out, causing Isabelle to look around. A young man with wild brown hair approached her.

"How can I help you?" Izzy asked, turning to face the man who was about her age.

"You're a nurse, right. Nurse Isabelle?" Isabelle blinked.

"Yes, I am. Have you heard of me?" The young man smiled and nodded in response to her question.

"I have! You've become quite popular among trainers. I'm quite honoured to meet the only travelling nurse in the world!"

Isabelle smiled bashfully, bowing her head to let the bangs done up hair to fall in her face and hide her blush a little.

"The pleasure is all mine. How can I help you?" In answer to that, the trainer pulled two Poké Balls from his belt.

"My name is Gary. Gary Oak. Could you look at my Pokémon for me? There isn't a Pokémon Centre around but they're not hurt. I'd just like them checked up. One of these two is new to my team and I want to make sure she's feeling okay. The other is one of my best."

"Sure! No problem. Show me the first one." Isabelle said, putting her bag on the ground and briefly prepared herself mentally for whatever may come.

The first Pokémon was a Blastoise. The Water-type was nearly as large as Izzy herself was but much broader. With a focused mind, the young nurse went to work. She checked his teeth and ears for how clean they were. She checked his water spouts to see if they could extend and withdraw properly. She even made the Blastoise trickle a tiny bit of water to listen for any clogs in his spouts.

"Perfectly fine. You've taken very good care of your Pokémon. Was this your starter? Blastoise seems very fond of you," Isabelle praised, which Blastoise confirmed with a long "blaaaaas".

"He was. We've been through a lot together. Now, I've adopted a Pokémon from a Pokémon Centre. Nurse Joy said she could not be returned to the wild because her group had abandoned her, so she had stuck around the centre. I came by and saw her training outside. Blastoise and I went to her and offered to spar with her since that would be much better training. Anyway, here she is. The newest member of my team," Gary said, opening his second Poké Ball.

A Charmeleon came out in a bright light, one that seemed familiar to Isabelle. It did look much better now but Izzy was rather sure she knew this Fire-type.

"Did you, by any chance, find this Charmeleon at Cinnabar Island?" Isabelle asked, just to be sure.

"Yes. Why?" Gary said.

"I believe that I know this one. I saved her life when I was there. Hey there, Charmeleon. Remember me?" Isabelle asked, lowering her head a bit to get closer to the Pokémon that came to about her waist.

Narrow green eyes looked at the nurse. The female Pokémon took a deep sniff and then launched herself at Isabelle, wrapping herself in a rather violent hug.

"It seems she does," Isabelle said breathlessly, stroking over Charmeleon's head. "I am so pleased to see you have survived. How are you feeling now? How's Mr Oak treating you?" Charmeleon answered in her own language, but her new-found joy in life was easy to recognise.

"Don't worry about a thing, Mr Oak. Your Charmeleon is perfectly okay." Isabelle told the brown-haired young man with a stunning smile.