#096 Drowzee

Drowzee, the Hypnosis Pokémon. If your nose becomes itchy while you are sleeping, it's a sure sign that one of these Pokémon is standing above your pillow and trying to eat you dream through your nostrils.

Standing in full uniform with a mouth cap, sterile and all, Nurse Isabelle inspected the chaos. A Rapidash had broken his front leg. All nurses and doctors, including Isabelle who had been just visiting, had been summoned to prepare for surgery. However, Rapidash was having none of it. Blasting Ember at anyone who would get too close, the medical staff were unable to sedate the fiery steed long enough for surgery to begin.

"I have an idea," a very young-looking Joy spoke up. No one paid any attention to her, but Isabelle turned her way. "W-well," she said, suddenly nervous under Isabelle's calm stare. "There's a Drowzee currently in the centre. He could put Rapidash to sleep and keep him that way until we're done."

Isabelle looked at her for a moment before nodding. Everyone else was still fighting the Rapidash. "Everyone! Listen up!" She said with a loud voice, startling everyone present, including the young Joy and the horse. "This isn't working. You, tiny one, go get that Drowzee. You, clean up this mess. You two, prepare for surgery. We're hypnotising Rapidash to be able to perform the operation. Is this okay with you, Rapidash? No chemical sedation?"

Huffing, the horse laid back down, kicking some hay moodily. He was no longer fighting, so that was good. It seemed his leg was hurting even more from all the ruckus he made.

The young Joy returned, cradling the chubby Pokémon as if it were a teddy bear. Isabelle didn't like it very much, but Joy seemed rather fond of it. Joy put Drowzee in front of Rapidash and walked away, waiting in another room with the others to protect themselves from the Hypnosis. Rapidash twitched a bit and then relaxed with a heavy sigh. Isabelle adjusted her gloves; it was time to get started.

Two hours later, the medical staff sat in the canteen, drinking tea or coffee as they watched Rapidash take a few careful steps outside. It would take a while to get used to the bandage, but the broken bone would heal properly now.

The young Joy received praise. She was merely an intern at this centre, watching treatment to learn, but she had demonstrated a clear mind in a stressful situation. The tired staff raised their plastic cups in a toast. "To Tiny Joy!"

Later, Isabelle and a doctor assembled an article for the medical database, promoting this kind of treatment. Especially those interested in non-chemical medicine, such as berries, would be interested in this kind of treatment. As they posted it, Izzy saw many articles by Wendy Foxglove of similar nature. How her Wigglytuff was a suitable companion for a nurse, for example. However, she was considered a bit too alternative for others to take her very seriously. That reminded her of the conversation she'd had with Oak, suggesting Wendy as assistant. While she was on the computer anyway, she sent Wendy a lengthy email, explaining Professor Oak was becoming a tad old and struggled to take care of all the Pokémon by himself. He needed someone with experience with Pokémon care, like a nurse, who is also able to assist in research. Due to the heavy medical studies they had to do, Izzy wrote, she figured Wendy might be suitable for the job. No healing battle-weary Pokémon. Just studying them in a semi-natural habitat.

Izzy pressed send and shut down the computer. Knowing Wendy, she wouldn't get a reply in the next few days. She wasn't that addicted to the computer.