#121 Starmie

Starmie, the Mysterious Pokémon. The multi-colour glowing of its core is also believed to be a method of communication inside the species. However, Starmie's core is most commonly seen as red in colour. The core will go dark if Starmie is knocked unconscious, and will sometimes flicker if Starmie is low on health. Because of its body shape and habit of sending transmissions skyward, some people believe this Pokémon to be extra-terrestrial. Starmie is rarely seen in the wild, but can be found in the deepest parts of the ocean.

Misty was found at the pool where the Gym battles once were held. She was fighting her Staryu against her Starmie. Walking around on the platforms over the water, she shouted commands to both Pokémon, giving them pointers or encouragement. Nurse Isabelle watched from the side, leaning back against the bleachers. She had no desire of interrupting a training session, especially not considering the topic of the upcoming conversation.

If Misty noticed the blonde, she never gave any indication. The sixteen-year-old redhead's voice boomed through the dome of the pool, giving her the disposition of a Poliwrath, rather than a Horsea. It did fit her a little. Water had the force to flatten towns, yet could also be gentle enough to nurture life.

Eventually, she let her star-shaped Pokémon rest as she headed over to where Izzy was. The nurse nodded in greeting as Misty took a can of lemonade and sat down with a sigh.

"I see you're training hard. You're the only one I've seen working with their Pokémon since I came here," Isabelle told her.

Misty took a long drink from her can. "Yeah, well, I'm the only one interested in battling."

"Then I have an interesting proposal for you. Would you like to be the sole Gymleader of the Cerulean Gym?" Isabelle asked bluntly.

That certainly caught the youngest sister's attention. "How?" She asked suspiciously.

Isabelle sat down. For the best part of half an hour, she explained how she could get it arranged to relieve her sisters of their unwanted duty as Gym Leaders and put them as Trainers instead. As Leader, Misty would hire them for the water shows they liked to do best, to bring in extra publicity and money for the Gym. No more badges would be given away for free. It would be tough, though, Isabelle warned. Misty did not seem daunted by the challenge. Her eyes shone with a blaze better suited to a Fire-type trainer.

"I take it you're up for it, then?"

"Oh, absolutely! Me, the sole Gymleader?! I could bring some changes to this place. Remodel the pool, maybe even an outside basin!" For a bit longer, Misty gushed about how she saw her ideal Cerulean Gym.

"Daisy, Violet, and Lily would depend on you to keep a roof above their heads, though," Isabelle warned.

"They don't have to worry. I can handle it. Oh! That reminds me!" Misty put her can down and dashed away, leaping over the platforms at a speed Isabelle would never have dared. Soon, she returned with something bundled in her arms. She sat down carefully, pulling the wet towel away. "It's an egg. I haven't had the time to hatch it, and I don't think the Cerulean Gym is the right home for it, not in the state it is now. We think it might be a Water-type, considering that sky-blue colour, but we cannot be sure. We certainly did not recognise it. I want you to have it. Without you, this would never have happened. We'd be just as stuck as always or even worse. Your ideas have brought new life into the Cerulean Gym, and as thanks for that, I'd like to give new life to you. Please, guard it well."

Isabelle took the light blue egg carefully, before hugging Misty tightly. "I will. You work hard and make the Cerulean Gym shine as we both know it can!"