#137 Porygon

Porygon, the Virtual Pokémon. Porygon is a Pokémon made completely out of programming code. Due to its man-made origins, Porygon does not need to breathe or eat, though it can still accept food if given. Porygon has demonstrated the ability to change colour for camouflage. Because it's man-made, it is generally found, if at all, in computers, labs, or other buildings where people work. - Nurse Evergreen

It is understandable that if you've created something you're proud of, you want to show it off. On the forum where Pokémon nurses, rangers, and researchers post their findings, such stories are not uncommon. For example, one person argued that giving a carnivorous Pokémon actual meat instead of berry-based Pokémon food will make it much more active and aggressive. The discussion whether people wish for more aggressive Pokémon had lasted for weeks. Another person had claimed to have bred the ultimate Pokémon and wished for people to observe its greatness. Most laughed at him but Nurse Isabelle, with a bad feeling in her stomach, had accepted the invitation and requested she could bring someone. Her request had been accepted.

Isabelle and Dominic walked together to the guy's lab, having met up in the town nearby. The lab somehow reminded Izzy of Oak's laboratory, yet without the homely feel. This place was in disrepair. Whenever a person claimed to have made an amazing discovery yet had obviously little money, alarm bells started to ring. A look at Dom's grim face showed a similar assessment. Isabelle reached out to hold his hand, smiled gently at him, and headed inside.

The interior of the building was in similar disrepair. She checked the address on her phone and looked around again. This was where a supposed ultimate Pokémon was supposed to live? It had been bred here, the researcher had said. Still, when she inhaled, she could only smell cheap instant noodles and other smells that came with irregular cleaning. Nothing that suggested a Pokémon lived here.

They entered into the main area of the laboratory, full of computers and wires and such. There were dozens of screens , showing endless lines of code, possibly to impress them by looking busy. Another man stood in the room, looking a bit uncertain. He was not the researcher they were supposed to meet but a brief talk revealed he was asked to come as well, after he had beaten the local gym.

"Lady and gentlemen, I am so glad you've been able to make it here. Let me introduce myself, for you'll hear this name for eternity! I am Doctor Castor, the inventor of Porygon!" A voice announced dramatically. The lights went off and when they turned on again, a balding man stood in the room, along with some sort of floating creature.

It was one of the most horrifying things Isabelle had ever seen. Aside from the fact it was entirely angular and its colours looked like they had been painted on, its eyes were dull. There was no recognition, no curiosity, and no life in them. This creature was unnatural.

"This is Porygon, the first man-made Pokémon. I've coded him myself, using these computers. The real trick was to get him out of the computer," Castor laughed, as if this was the funniest thing ever. Isabelle did not laugh, for she was still staring appalled. "Porygon does not need to be fed, nor does it feel pain. It'll simply fight until it breaks apart."

"Cool!" The trainer exclaimed. Izzy had nearly forgotten about him.

"Not cool!" Isabelle and Dominic said in unison. When Izzy looked over to smile at him, she saw he looked a bit pale.

"This is monstrous! You cannot go against nature like this! Pokémon are supposed to be living beings, of flesh and blood. Not some will-less machine. If we wished to fight with things that cannot feel, we'd do the simulated battling made for the computer. You know, those video games kids these days cannot stop playing. But real Pokémon trainers work with living Pokémon, not this abomination."

Even after Dom's reasonably harsh words, there was still no response from Porygon. Castor, however, paled. Isabelle held up her badge. "As a Pokémon official, I order you to dissemble it. Put it back into the computer, where it belongs. Have it guard you against viruses or something, I don't care, but do not let this thing loose in the real world."

Isabelle received a glare from the Pokémon trainer and the doctor quickly threw them out in anger, whereupon he closed his doors to them. It didn't matter to Izzy. She stood there, glaring at the doors and hoping he followed through. She would have to send someone over to ensure everything will be made in legal order.

From behind, strong arms wrapped around her tense body as Dominic buried his face in her neck. "I'm so glad you saw it the same way as I did. Come on, let's get out of here. We could both do with seeing some genuine Pokémon, I think."