#141 Kabutops

Kabutops, the Shellfish Pokémon. The evolved form of Kabuto. It is believed that Kabutops can retreat into its shell to help it swim extremely fast. With its sharp scythes, it can cut enemies effortlessly. Scientists believe it was in the process of evolving into a land dweller before it went extinct. Kabutops, like Kabuto, prefer to live in seclusion and will become very hostile when provoked. - Nurse Evergreen

When her legs crossed, Nurse Isabelle sat and watched Bill interact with the shy Kabuto in the lighthouse that served as his laboratory. Mike, the Pokémon Hunter, sat next to her.

"Where did you find it, anyway?" Isabelle asked.

"Hm?"

"The Kabuto."

"Oh," he said. "Recent excavations have produced many fossils. Breeders will breed and the demand is high. I received this one rather easily when I showed Bill's letter."

"I'd hate to be here when it evolves. I heard it won't happen soon, but Kabutops are vicious, especially when they feel threatened or scared. I ... oh, bugger," the blond nurse cursed when a bright light came from a bit further ahead. She did not need to look what it was, for the light was undoubtedly a Pokémon evolving and there was only one in this room.

As Izzy covered her face in exasperation, the tiny shellfish Pokémon grew bigger and, more importantly, grew scythes. It stood up tall, stretched his neck, and made a sound that could only be described as a scream. As he lunged for Bill, Mike tossed a Pokéball at it, returning it to its ball. Isabelle sighed in relief and Bill sat down on the ground.

"I had not expected that," the researcher said weakly.

"I had," Izzy groaned as she got off the table she had been sitting on. "This is why pre-historic Pokémon are a bad idea. Actually, underestimating any Pokémon is ill advised. People tend to forget Pokémon can cause harm. They're not all as innocent and cuddly as Meowth."

"Agreed," Mike still held the Pokéball in his hand. "Though most Pokémon have been living near humans long enough not to harm them. These pre-historic ones are entirely confused where they are."

Bill stood up, approaching the nurse and the younger hunter. "Michael, could you stay here for a while? I'd like to study Kabutops with you around to interfere if anything goes wrong."

"Certainly, sir."

"Nurse Isabelle. Thank you for coming. Was there anything you wished from me?"

"Yes, actually. I have some research I'd like you to look at and I'd hoped to pick up a batch of water-type hatchling Pokémon food."

"Ah yes! The Lapras. I read your article. Glorious creature. I look forward to seeing it grow. If you'll follow me?" With that, Bill headed upstairs, higher into the lighthouse. Isabelle turned to Mike.

"Good luck on the rest of your journey."

"You too, Nurse Isabelle." Mike waved at her and left the lighthouse, pulling the heavy door shut behind him.