#125 Electabuzz

Electabuzz, the Electric Pokémon. Electabuzz is capable of storing huge amounts of electrical energy inside of its body over long periods. During torrential thunderstorms, Electabuzz will compete to determine which is capable of attaining the highest ground, so as to be most likely struck by a bolt of lightning. If struck, Electabuzz will absorb the electricity and will not be harmed. It is in this same manner that captured Electabuzz are sometimes used in small towns as an alternative to lightning rods.

Electabuzz, like Scyther, is enraged by the colour red. If this Pokémon sees the colour red, it will become violent and raze the area around it. In battle, Electabuzz windmills its arms, apparently to add momentum to it punches. This method of battle seems ineffective, as its opponent has been known to escape in the meantime. It is also capable of entirely nonverbal communication via electrical currents when in close proximity to one another. Electabuzz typically resides in or around power plants, and can also be found in grasslands. It has been known to wander into cities and cause blackouts.

Nurse Isabelle kept in touch with the ranger Dominic Whitewater often. Not only did they call every evening (or whenever they had time, since neither of their jobs were 9 to 5 jobs), but they also texted pictures to each other or emailed interesting articles to the other. Izzy's profile picture was currently a selfie with a very photogenic Psyduck who had been simply too adorable. Izzy had been sad to leave it behind. She would have loved to take it with her, but she already had Dewgong, who was amazing and very useful. Dom's picture was with a younger kid, Dom had told her, who was his brother. His name was Hamilton Foster, Dom's half-brother, and he would be starting his own adventure after the summer, since he turned 15 this year.

Isabelle liked the look of him. He had a wide grin with that childhood confidence most kids had. Both of the men were slightly streaked with mud in the picture, which did not surprise Izzy at all. In Hal's brown hair was a Golduck-blue streak which looked pretty cool on the kid. Hal and Dom did not look very much alike, but they did have the same smile and the same warm, blue eyes.

Isabelle was at the Pokémon centre near the tunnel that led to Lavender town when she received one of these familiar calls from Dom. He mentioned there being a blackout in Lavender and that he was asked to check out the Power Plant for anything wrong since he was the closest ranger. So he had asked, with a lull to his normal confidence, whether she was willing to come with him. He knew she was nearby, as well, and thought she might come in use.

"That's all?" Izzy teased.

"And I miss you," he admitted, causing Izzy to laugh.

"All right. I'll come. See you there in an hour or two."

The previous time Isabelle had been at the Power Plant, as far as she could remember, was because a Raticate had been stuck inside, chewing the wiring. Not only had it caused damage to the wiring which had to be replaced, he also managed to electrocute himself several times. Isabelle had had to send him to the nearest Pokémon centre, using her Pidgeot (Pidgeotto at that time) and a stretcher. That had been the start of something amazing for Pidgeotto; he'd done more jobs like that, including being loaned out to ambulance staff. As far as Isabelle could tell, he loved it.

Dominic was waiting at the open entrance to the Power Plant. When Izzy shot him a suspicious look, he held up the keys, grinning. Then he hugged her, knifing her gently in the back with said keys. No words were said as they headed in.

Inside, it was clear the wires were fried. It smelled vaguely burnt and there were scorch marks everywhere. Voltorb were gathered around the sparking wires, apparently enjoying this, but they could not have been the cause of such destruction. As they walked, Dominic took notes on a tablet he carried while Isabelle carefully snuck up on a wild Pikachu, which had made a nest deeply inside the Power Plant's main hall, near an open window. They were pretty rare in the wild, so seeing one made Izzy smile.

Entering the hallways, angry shouts could be heard, echoing through. Isabelle couldn't really pinpoint where they were coming from, but Dominic briskly walked in one direction as if he were absolutely certain this was the right way. Outside the first generator room, Dom waved at Izzy that she should stay back. Angry, she crossed her arms but waited as Dominic headed inside. Then, realising how stupid she looked, standing here as if for decoration, she headed after him.

Inside the first main generator room, Dominic and Rhydon were working together to free a Pokémon. An Electabuzz was stuck in low hanging wires, which had miraculously tangled around its limbs. In anger, it kept sending out electric shocks, which had fried the entire system.

As Dominic was cursing about the bad state of this place, including that there were these ridiculous, low-hanging wires, Rhydon was yanking the Electabuzz out. Being a Ground-type, he was not bothered by the furious sparks that came off the Pokémon. From a distance, Izzy checked out the Electabuzz. Nothing hindered its movements, so no broken bones or sprained muscles. Its electric power was immense, even after frying the entire place. It might get very exhausted, but sleep could fix that. If those two could release the Electabuzz, he'd be okay.

The moment the Electabuzz set foot on the ground, Dominic pulled a Pokéball from his belt. "Alright, now it's a fair fight; I'm going to catch you!" He shouted but the Electabuzz dashed off like a Meowth faced with water. Dejected, Dom dropped his hand.

"Or not," Isabelle grinned. Dom shot her an annoyed look before grinning.

"Or not, indeed. Let's get out of this place. I've got a report to write."