#067 Machoke

Machoke, the Superpower Pokémon. The evolved form of Machop. Machoke undertakes bodybuilding every day even as it helps people with tough, physically demanding labour. On its days off, this Pokémon heads to the fields and mountains to exercise and train. This Pokémon has so much strength, it can easily hold aloft a sumo wrestler on just one finger.

Ever since their date at Celadon Game Corner, Nurse Isabelle and Dominic the Ranger kept in regular contact. No matter the time, Isabelle could always text him during long nights as she watched over sick Pokémon to help them through the night.

Dominic mentioned he'd be nearby, at a Pokémon tournament, and invited her to come. One of his Pokémon would be competing and the tournament would always welcome a nurse. And, he added, he missed her. The way he said that always made her blush whenever she remembered that text.

With her medical bag swung over one shoulder, Isabelle entered the town, which seemed to revolve around this tournament. Stalls where food was sold were everywhere and, between them, bets were placed, Pokémon paw prints were sold, and many other things.

As she went to the registration booth, she identified herself and volunteered as a nurse for this event. The manager was called, who shook her hand over and over in obvious ecstatic happiness. A calloused hand placed itself over theirs, preventing Izzy's arm from being shaken off. It belonged to the tall Dominic who was backed by an even taller Machoke.

Happy to see him, she flung her arms around his neck and hugged him. She could hear him smile when he wrapped his arms around her waist, cradling her against his body before letting her go.

"Izzy, meet Machoke. Machoke, this is nurse Isabelle, my girlfriend." While Dominic grinned at this, Izzy blushed. It was true, though.

"Nice to meet you, Machoke. So, you'll be competing in the tournament?"

Machoke nodded, grunting his name.

"I wish the two of you the best of luck. I'm going to set up a little tent near the hill for the injured. I could use your strength."

While Izzy was actually talking to Machoke, she laughed when Dominic flexed. "Yes, you may help, too."

The crew of the event was very willing to help and within no time, the blond nurse had a tent, a few beds, and more supplies than she would actually need. All around her feet, her Pokémon ran around. Ivysaur has not left her since he was summoned, following her every move. Wartortle was talking to Raichu on one of the beds in the back while Pidgeotto kept watch near the entrance.

Then a magnified voice told everyone the event was about to start. It was a simple concept. There was this steep hill and it had to be conquered. A Pokémon could win by standing on top of it when the time ran out, which was about two hours, or when it was the last Pokémon remaining. Isabelle liked the idea. It tested strength, stamina, but also intelligence. Dom's Machoke had a good chance of winning, strength-wise, but it didn't seem very intelligent. He simply did what Dom or Raichu asked of him and nothing more. A bit stereotypical of Fighting-types but he seemed like a sweet guy.

When the event started, an unlikely Pokémon waggled its way to the top with ease. There, it stood, looking confused and slightly pained as it held its head. With a slight frown, Dominic ordered Machoke to push the Psyduck off the hill and claim it for his own. Shoving a Psyduck off a hill was the easy part. Only a few minutes in, Machoke would have to defend himself and keep his ground against attacks from all kinds of Pokémon. Grass-types tried to tug him off while Fighting-types met him in brute strength.

Isabelle couldn't watch much. The initial Psyduck needed a plaster and a kiss, and after that, many other Pokémon were brought in. A bruised Oddish, a stunned Mankey. Isabelle was actually quite busy, but very few of the Pokémon were seriously injured. Such wounds were actually not allowed in this competition. Most just had their honour dented.

In the end, Machoke lost. Isabelle couldn't see who or whose it was, but she was happy for it. Machoke had been tough to beat. Dominic returned with bags of Pokémon food and takeaway pasta for the two of them. Sitting outside as the buzz of the competition died down, they sat shoulder to shoulder as they ate their food, chatting softly about today's event and anything interesting that might have happened since they last met.