#127 Pinsir

Pinsir, the Stag Beetle Pokémon. It can use its pincers to crush, toss, bludgeon, or tear opponents, lift things twice its weight, and shatter logs. Captured prey is kept in place by the piercing thorns and sheer strength of Pinsir's horns, and will not be released until they are torn in half. In addition to hunting prey, it has been observed that it enjoys tree sap. Pinsir lives deep in the forest, where it burrows underground or hides in the treetops on nights cold enough to render it immobile.

Even though she wasn't particularly nearby, Nurse Isabelle decided to drop by Erika's Gym unannounced. It'd been plaguing her for a long time, but she desperately needed to see her Ivysaur. She didn't let anybody know, not even her mother or Erika, but she flew on Pidgeot towards Celadon City. Pidgeot was strong enough and could cross fields and rivers without any problem. This way, Izzy managed to do a multiple-day journey in just under twelve hours.

Pidgeot was exhausted when they arrived, so she allowed her Pokémon to rest in his ball, promising a check-up at the centre and a very thorough brushing in thanks. Then she headed in. Juliet, who was one of Erika's apprentices, was standing at the front desk. Izzy merely held her finger to her lips as she continued walking. News of Ivy had become common gossip, so everybody there knew who she was.

At the central battlefield, Isabelle halted, sitting down on one of the benches. A fight was going on between a kid of around seventeen years old and his Pinsir against Erika and her Victreebel. For someone not into competitive battling, Izzy had to admit it was a pretty exciting match. The Pinsir and the Victreebel were almost equal in strength. What advantage the Grass-type had in strength and speed, Pinsir countered by his type advantage. Eventually, Pinsir won. Erika wasn't even mad. It had been an amazing fight. As the two of them left to hand over the badge and do some paperwork, Isabelle snuck off. She had caught Rosie's scent.

She followed the sweet, flowery fragrance deeper into the greenhouse to a part left wilder on purpose. The plants here weren't for perfumes. They were for the Grass-types that lived in the Gym. Under a big fern, Isabelle found Rosie, cradling an egg against her body as she slept. Isabelle gently reached out for the egg when suddenly she was bitten in her hand! Yelping in pain, she withdrew her hand, only to find her very own Ivysaur biting her. Ivy recognised Izzy the same moment she recognised her starter. Immediately, he licked her hand with his rough, thick tongue before climbing on her lap and licking her cheeks excitedly, waggling his very tiny tail back and forth. Isabelle giggled and hugged her old friend close against her body.

"Hey there, Ivy. Good to see you, too. How are you, Rosie. Your egg looks wonderful. May I see it?"

After a look between both Ivysaur, Ivy nudged his egg towards the young nurse. The markings on the egg revealed it as a Bulbasaur egg without doubt. The colour, however, was a bit off. It was too dark for a normal Ivysaur, yet seemed to match Rosie. Izzy's eyes went wide. Rosie's rose-mutation was hereditary! This egg was invaluable! Isabelle would give so much to be able to take it and raise it for herself, to study the Pokémon that came out of it.

However, this egg belonged to Ivy and Rosie. It was made by the two of them and not hers for the taking, no matter how much she wished she could. With a sinking feeling in her heart, she gave the egg back, rolling it back in the little dent in the soil where Rosie had kept it.

"It's wonderfully healthy and sturdy. Take good care of your little Bulbasaur, you guys, okay?" She kissed both their heads and stood up, leaving the gym. Only after she left, Erika was informed by Juliet Izzy had been there.