#093 Haunter

Haunter, the Gas Pokémon. The evolved form of Gastly. Haunter is a dangerous Pokémon. If one beckons you while floating in darkness, you must never approach it. This Pokémon will try to lick you with its tongue and steal your life away.

Nurse Isabelle found herself in the Pokémon centre of Saffron City. There, she was arranging something for two young kids, who were waiting eagerly. They were in the transportation room where Jane and Jack were standing with their hands clasped behind their backs, not allowed to touch anything. Two parents sat on a chair at the back of the room.

"So, you'd like to adopt a Pokémon from the centre? As I explained before, these Pokémon have been captured by someone else, are unable to stay with their original trainer, and ended up here. These are the Pokémon that are unable to return to the wild. It does mean the Pokémon might not like you, but that is also a problem with wild Pokémon. As far as pets go, these are the least likely to attack, sir, ma'am."

Everyone nodded in suspense.

"The first Pokémon I want to show you is from here in Saffron. It's Haunter. I know," Isabelle said when the parents gasped. "But this one is a special case. Do I have ...? Yes, there they are." Isabelle checked the antidote, paralysis heal, burn heal, defrost, and awakening on the desk, just in case. As the Pokéball arrived, Isabelle turned around to face them. "Haunter thinks he's a Growlithe or something like that. He likes to play, and worst of all, lick."

"That isn't so bad?" The mother piped up.

"No, it's normally not. But Haunter can cause paralysis if it licks."

"Oh. That's a problem. I want to see him anyway."

Isabelle opened the Pokéball and with a flash, Haunter showed up. Unlike normal Haunter, he had his tongue out and looked rather excited. Before Isabelle could say anything, he hugged Jane with his floating hands and gave Jack a lick, which caused him to spasm and freeze.

"Haunter! Stop!" Isabelle called out authoritatively. The ghost ceased flying and hovered in mid-air. Frustrated, the nurse ran her hand through her hair.

"Let's not." The father said slowly.

"Haunter, return." The nurse summoned the ghost back and put it back on the shelf. "I think I'm going to go to Saffron City Gym with this one." She turned back around to the computer to find another suggestion. "How about an Oddish?"

"Oh, that's more suitable!" The mother exclaimed.

"Okay. Oddish from Celadon City. Transport... And ..."

"Can I have a Meowth?" Jane piped up.

"Sure. No problem. We have plenty of those. Poor street Meowth that end up at the centres, all starved and lonely."

With two subsequent pings, two Pokéballs showed up. The first one contained a Meowth, from Vermillion. The second was the Oddish. Meowth was a scared little thing, hiding behind Isabelle's legs, frightened by the noise the young girl made. The Oddish did not seem to care. When Jack reached out his hand, Oddish boldly marched up to him to be petted.

Isabelle made eye contact with the parents, who nodded at her. They'd take these two home, for their children to learn how to care for Pokémon. Handing the balls to the parents, she watched them leave the transportation room. Another successful case of Pokémon adoption. Izzy had grown up around Pokémon herself and she could advise it for any parent. It taught a kid how to share, how to be compassionate, how to think of others instead of themselves. It was one of the highlights of her childhood.