#089 Muk

Muk, the Sludge Pokémon. The evolved form of Grimer. From Muk's body seeps a foul fluid that gives off a nose-bendingly horrible stench. Just one drop of this Pokémon's body fluid can turn a pool stagnant and rancid. This Pokémon's favourite food is anything that is repugnantly filthy. In dirty towns where people think nothing of throwing away litter on the streets, Muk are certain to gather.

Since it had been Mother's Day recently, Nurse Isabelle was on her way to visit Nurse Elenor Evergreen in Celadon City. Due to minor troubles on the way, Izzy was a few days late, but her mother always understood. Once, they had celebrated Christmas a month late due to trouble at the centre. Despite the inconvenience, Izzy was rather fond of these memories. They made the holidays special.

Because Isabelle had not shown her mother her newest team members yet, she showed up on her Ponyta. By now, after many hours of travel, Izzy was able to stay comfortably on Ponyta's back, though she still was no master rider. As expected, her mother loved Ponyta. She had known about Izzy's research and fawned over the healthy fire of her blue mane and the pristine pureness of her coat. Although she wasn't a good rider, Isabelle did know how to take care of a Pokémon. Mother would be furious with her if she neglected any of her Pokémon! With Ponyta grazing in the back garden, and after a quick meeting between Mother and Dewgong, Isabelle was sat down with tea. The ladies had a lot to catch up on. Elenor spoke about thinking of moving to a ranch outside of Celadon, which much more land where she could continue her hobby of rehabilitating Pokémon. Isabelle spoke of the darkness she had found in some places, including the Abra in the Celadon Game Corner. As expected, it horrified her mother to hear of such treatment of Pokémon. Isabelle sighed and ran a hand through her hair. She just didn't know what to do against it. She wanted to help but she was just a nurse.

Then the telephone rang. It was Celadon Gym, according to the number identification.

"Mrs Evergreen? We need your help! All our plants are dying, and there is this terrible smell like an open sewer. Something's making low, growly noises as well. Please come and help us!" The girls from the Gym shrieked.

"Don't worry, I'll go," Isabelle offered. Her mother wasn't the youngest anymore and Izzy had noticed how her mother was sore from working too much. "Don't worry, Mother."

Elenor smiled and told the girls of Izzy's decision. When she hung up, the older nurse sighed.

"You'd think they'd seen a Raticate from the way they scream and shriek."

Because Ponyta could use some rest, Isabelle flew the tiny distance on Pidgeot's back to Celadon Gym. As she landed, she saw the chaos. All around her, girls were crying and throwing up, which was a bit of an exaggerated reaction according to Izzy.

Erika met her in front of the Gym. She, too, seemed a tad annoyed with the hysterics.

"We've got a loose Muk. No clue how it got in, but in his confusion, his stench is unbearable. I don't want to aggravate it. Let's just chase it out. Oh, and Izz? It's a Poison type."

Isabelle nodded; "I'm aware. But I also know Grass types are weak against it, which leaves you not able to do a lot. Pidgeot should be able to blow it away with his powerful wings. Do you have an exit planned?"

"Yes. There's an easy route from the back exit to the city garbage disposal. The Muk should be happier there than in my gym."

"Let's do it."

Inside, as she was warned, it reeked. Badly. It smelled like everything that could rot at the same time. Clearly, this Muk was really upset and confused. Like Gloom, they could be very manageable, but tended to smell when upset. The operation didn't take long. Isabelle mostly stood behind Pidgeot, whose wings were easily able to slide Muk where Isabelle wanted it to go. Within quarter of an hour, the girls stood outside as the Muk slimed his own way further, probably smelling the garbage from here.

"I'm so happy I'm not a Gym Trainer of yours. I wouldn't want to clean up the grime and have to start the garden over from the start."

Erika laughed. "The cleaning will be gross, but we like gardening. We had wanted to try some new plants out anyway, since the Pokémon Centre has need of new medicine, and now we have the soil available, after purifying it."

"Good luck, Erika."

"You too. When all is done, come and visit us again."

"As long as it doesn't smell this badly, I'll be sure to come."

The ladies laughed again and went their own way. Erika went inside, and Isabelle back to her mother's, who was a little sad she had missed yet another adventure.