#120 Staryu

Staryu, the Star Shape Pokémon. When the sun goes down, the core glows its brightest. Many will float from the seafloor to the surface and align themselves with stars of the night sky as their core flickers, displaying a connection with the celestial bodies of space. If Staryu becomes weak, its core will grow faint and flash slowly. Staryu can be found at the very bottom of the ocean on the seafloors. There are times, however, when Staryu finds itself in rivers that lead into the ocean.

Nurse Isabelle followed Daisy, the eldest of the Sensational Sisters, into the office. Stacks of paper were everywhere, along with more bills. It was messy and unorganised. In the corner, a Staryu sat on a chair with his core blinking, though it was sleeping. Daisy sat down in the chair behind the desk with a heavy sigh. Isabelle realised now that she could see her here quite how exhausted the yellow-haired girl looked.

"Are you here to shut down the Gym?" Daisy asked in a low voice. Isabelle shook her head.

"No, I am here because I am worried about the Pokémon. That is my role."

Daisy nodded, running her hands through her hair and removing her wig. Wearing a wig at all times must be very warm and uncomfortable, Izzy thought. "This place was doomed to fail for years," Daisy confessed. Izzy took a chair, ready to listen to a painful story.

"Our parents were the original owners of this gym. They had been in charge until about fourteen years ago. Then they just left," Daisy shook her head as if she still couldn't understand it. "They left me, a six-year-old, with my younger siblings. Misty was only two. I don't think she even remembers our parents. Officer Jenny, who lived with us for a few years, said they could not handle the strict regulations of being a Gym Leader." Daisy buried her head in her hands. "I still don't understand, though. Why would they leave their children behind?!"

"Have you heard anything of them since the day they left?" Isabelle asked carefully, but Daisy shook her head.

"Nothing."

Letting out a deep sigh, Isabelle looked at the ceiling. "What about your youngest sister, Misty? I've heard she's a decent battler. Her name came up when I was speaking with Brock from Pewter City Gym." Daisy nodded to this, still holding her head in her hands in her hopelessness.

"You girls do watershows, right? Such as water ballet and other performances?"

Daisy looked up. "Yeah, we do. They're fun to play."

"That'll earn the Gym money, right? That's one of the more pressing issues. That and having no active Gym Leader. I'll talk to Misty about that. Getting apprentices and trainers at the gym can wait until everything is back on track," Isabelle took a notepad and began scribbling, excited to get started on bringing this place back to life.

The eldest of the Sensational Sisters joined Izzy to look over her shoulder, checking what she was writing. "You think we can do this?"

"If you work hard, yes. Set up a good play, advertise it in the town and the Pokémon centre. When the play is premiering, open the battle register. Let the trainers sign up for a Gym battle with Misty, which'll bring in their fees. If all goes well then within the month, you can start paying off your bills and get started on the repairs. It'll be hard work. No beauty contests or anything. Constant rehearsal and performances for you three. Are you up for it?"

"The alternative is losing the Gym and being homeless, isn't it?" Isabelle nodded grimly. "Then we'll make it work!" Daisy said in a determined manner.