#008 Wartortle

Wartortle, the Turtle Pokémon. The evolved form of Squirtle. As Wartortle grows old, its tail fur will darken, and it may have algae growing on its shell. The shell may also carry scars from past battles. To maintain balance while swimming at high speeds, Wartortle moves its furry ears and tail. It can use the fur to store air for extended underwater diving. Its tail is a popular symbol of longevity, making it popular with the elderly. It hides in water when hunting and emerges to surprise its prey. Wartortle can be found living in colonies on islands, but its preferred habitat seems to be freshwater ponds and lakes.

When Nurse Isabelle reached the Pokécentre with the injured Squirtle, Nurse Joy took it to the emergency room after tossing Izzy the keys to the nurse's rooms in the back of the centre. There, Izzy took a well-deserved warm shower and dressed in the standard nurse uniform while hers was drying. It felt weird to wear a skirt again. Braiding her wet hair back in a Dutch braid down the back of her head, Isabelle went down to the waiting area, taking up an entire couch, and spent the waiting time brushing Bulbasaur with a soft brush. She even rubbed his bulb with a soft cloth. By the time Nurse Joy returned, Bulbasaur was napping on a sunny spot of one of the couches, sighing contently.

Without saying anything, Isabelle followed Joy into the room she had placed Squirtle. The tiny turtle had been calmed with some medicine, that much was clear from the soft look in her eyes. She looked tinier than ever because her shell was wrapped tightly in bandages to keep the crack together and allow it to heal properly. To calm the Squirtle down a little when the sedation would wear off, Isabelle took some markers and began to colour the bandages in the colours of her own shell, to look less injured. Joy left her alone to do that, as she was called away to heal someone's Pokémon for them. It took over two hours, but when she was done, the belly was pale yellow again and the top was brown. Putting the last of the lines on the 'shield', Isabelle laid the markers aside and pulled up a chair to watch over the Pokémon so it wouldn't be alone when it woke up. Being a wild Squirtle, this was probably her first experience in a Pokécentre.

Some rustling woke Isabelle up. When she opened her eyes, everything was dark. Experience had taught her that if something woke her up in the middle of the night, it was best not to move right away. And that experience proved to be useful yet again. The window had been opened, the sound of which had woken her up, and several Pokémon made their way inside. Even though it was dark and the colours were not clearly visible, their shapes made it clear who they were. These turtles must be the injured Squirtle's friends. A bigger turtle stood underneath the window, catching the Squirtle and lowering them on the floor silently. Its tail was much fuller than those of the Squirtle too.

Watching through her eyelashes, she saw how all the Squirtle had brought gifts. They laid berries and shells everywhere, apples and pretty rocks. It was quite touching to see how they cared for their injured group member. The Squirtle left again, able to climb out of the window themselves, now that their hands were empty. The bigger turtle did not leave just yet. It actually came towards Isabelle and laid its hand on her arm. No longer pretending she was asleep, she lifted her head up to look at the Pokémon. It was a Wartortle, the evolved form of Squirtle.

"Hello, there," Isabelle whispered. This Wartortle was a smart one. Izzy could see its eyes move over her backpack in which some Pokéballs laid. Bulbasaur was still sleeping outside so they were all empty at the moment. Isabelle wasn't worried for Bulbasaur because there was always a nurse at the desk, able to see Bulbasaur laying on the couch. Wartortle looked at Izzy's clothing, recognising the nurse uniform. The female Water Pokémon saw the markers and the drawing on Squirtle's bandages.

"Wartortle," it replied in a voice that was a bit higher pitched, quite like that of the female Squirtle.

"Don't worry about Squirtle. She won't wake up alone. Or do you want to stay here too? You can explain the gifts," Isabelle suggested. Wartortle's reply made her smile. She loved being able to predict Pokémon a little.

Dawn did not take long to arrive and with the rising sun, the Squirtle awoke too. At first, it was confused, but Wartortle took a mighty leap onto the bed and started explaining. In her explanation, the turtle also pointed at nurse Isabelle. As they had waited for the light to appear, Isabelle had explained who she was and what she did. Bulbasaur had even woken up to crawl back to his Poké Ball, letting himself in without even a glance at the Wartortle. That was a good sign.

Wartortle's explanation calmed the Squirtle down and, with delight, it began checking out all the gifts and starting on the apples that were left for her. Assured that Squirtle would be fine, Wartortle leapt off and walked to Isabelle. She pointed at the Poké Balls.

"War! Wartortle! War!" It exclaimed in a manner that felt quite diva-like. It was almost as if she said, "You need me. Take me with you."

"Excuse me? Sure, you may come, but I am in charge, Wartortle. Are we clear?" Isabelle asked, pulling out an empty Poké Ball.

"War," it said sulkily and pressed its claw against the button, allowing itself to be sucked in. The ball didn't even shake once, accepting Wartortle into her team.

"You're going to be an interesting one. But welcome to the team, Wartortle."