#066 Machop

Machop, the Superpower Pokémon. Machop's muscles are special—they never get sore no matter how much they are used in exercise. This Pokémon has sufficient power to hurl a hundred adult humans.

Because Wartortle had been difficult lately, Nurse Isabelle had decided to spend the day training her. With permission, they were in a local training centre, which was built to allow trainers to work with their Pokémon, even if the weather is bad. This place was designed to train on physical power and stamina primarily. There were obstacle courses, dumbbells, and treadmills. No swimming water in sight, to prevent Wartortle from hiding away.

Few people were around. Just two trainers with their Pokémon as far as Isabelle could see. Taking the ball from her belt, she summoned Wartortle. Her Water-type seemed actually surprised to be called again.

Sitting on a weight press bench with her legs crossed, Isabelle looked at the turtle sternly.

"Wartortle. Your behaviour of the last few weeks has been unacceptable. At the moment, you are a nurse's Pokémon and you should act like it. I am aware this might not be your ideal situation and I promise I'm looking into how to make things better for you, but until that time, I need your full co-operation. If you get filthy, I'll make sure you're either washed or given the opportunity to wash yourself. But there are sick Pokémon out there. Injured Pokémon! I need a Water-type I can trust. For the moment, that's you. Don't forget you wished to join me, back when we met. I did not force you. Am I clear?"

This clearly was not what Wartortle wanted to hear, but Isabelle received a curt nod. Isabelle stood up from the bench.

"Then let's get to work. You've been neglecting your moves. As long as you're with me, I want you to be the best you can be. I will not ask things of you that you cannot do, but I will push you to your limits. You'll be grateful when your Water Gun is powerful enough to wash sludge away. It'll save a lot of scrubbing." Isabelle said as she walked over to the treadmill.

So in the following hours, Isabelle trained Wartortle firmly. The training helped increase her speed at the treadmill, her physical power with the dumbbells, and the strength of her Tackle at the heavy bag.

As Isabelle was tossing some large, rubber ball at her for her to use her Water Gun on to send it back, a Pokémon appeared from the weight lifting area. Its grey skin and childlike height told Isabelle it was a Machop. As Isabelle and Wartortle trained, the Fighting-type watched on, gazing longingly at the female Water-type. By the time the nurse declared they were done, he was gone.

When Isabelle and Wartortle were taking a break and having lunch, the Machop appeared again. He was carrying something this time. He held a box of Pokémon treats in the shape of bubbles. Isabelle smiled fondly but Wartortle took one look at the Machop with his cookies and turned away her head, causing Izzy to sigh. The Machop looked devastated, so Isabelle held out her hand to accept the gift for Wartortle. She'd already caught the trainer's eye, who sat a little while away, eating some pasta. Both the trainer and the nurse shared a smile at Machop's puppy love.

After having done every single type of training one more time, Isabelle called it a day. Talking about the size of the bath at the Pokémon centre, they were interrupted by a cry behind them.

"Machop! Chop! Mach! Machop!"

The Machop came running with a water lily bouquet, held together by a ribbon of the same colour as Wartortle's tail. A truly well-thought present. However, Wartortle still looked down on the smaller Pokémon. She did take the flowers, though and then walked out of the gym. At the expression of uncertain hope on Machop's face, both trainers burst out laughing.

"I'd hate to be the one to tell Machop Wartortle isn't really interested," Isabelle said, causing the trainer to grimace.

"He'll get over it, I hope. She might like him better if he were evolved or so."

"Maybe. She is a very tough lady to please."