#097 Hypno

Hypno, the Hypnosis Pokémon. The evolved form of Drowzee. Hypno holds a pendulum in its hand. The arcing movement and glitter of the pendulum lull the foe into a deep state of hypnosis. While this Pokémon searches for prey, it polishes the pendulum.

Nurse Isabelle has been having a headache since morning. She was in a small town, nearby Saffron City, when she had to stop because she could not go on. Even the tweeting of the birds and the splashing of the fountain was too much for her. Finding a quiet spot, she sat down, cradling her head.

"You too?" A guy's voice mumbled softly, causing Izzy to look up. She'd entirely overlooked a guy who also sat in the relative quietness of the edge of town. Izzy nodded, miserably.

"It's something around here. Once you get a day's travel away, the headache disappears. Something's causing it."

"A Psychic Pokémon, maybe?" Izzy suggested in a low voice. The man shrugged, not knowing the answer himself either. Groaning, Izzy stood up again. "I'm going to explore, using my headache as a guide." Wincing, she held her temple. "I now know what Psyduck must feel like."

"Rather you than me, girly. Good luck." After that almost-useless encouragement, Isabelle headed back into town. This place did not have a Pokémon centre, Izzy found out. That would have been the first place she'd have gone. Wandering around, in front of a warehouse, Izzy felt such stabs she cried out and bent over, grabbing her head. Around her, Pidgey squirmed on the ground in similar pain. Opening the door, she found a possible source of the problems.

Inside, a Hypno sat. Instead of waving his pendulum gently to hypnotise, he lashed it back and forth furiously. The entire air seemed charged with malignant energy. Whatever caused it, Izzy did not know, but the Hypnosis Pokémon was very, very furious.

Summoning Ivysaur from his ball, she called, "I know it hurts, but I need the strongest Sleep Powder you can give me! I'm counting on you!"

When Ivysaur appeared, he cried out and cringed but then focussed hard on spreading the blue powder over the wildly waving Hypno, who did nothing to dodge the attack, blind in his rage. It took a lot, but eventually, the gestures became fewer and more sluggish. He stumbled a little and then fell backwards, knocked out. Instantly, the headache disappeared, allowing her to sigh in relief.

"You're the best, Ivy!" Isabelle said, kneeling to hug her starter tightly. "I know it hurt and I'm sorry, but you were the only one who could have helped me with that."

"Saur," came the reply. All was well in Ivysaur's eyes.

Then Isabelle stood up, making a call to a peculiar Joy in Saffron: a Joy teasingly known as Goth Joy.

"Heya! How's Sabrina's Alakazam going? Cured? Excellent. Listen, I've got a new project for you. I'm in this little town, east of Saffron, and there is the angriest Hypno I've ever seen. He had a permanent scowl on his face and was waving the pendulum like he wished to smash someone's head in with it. Needless to say, it caused everyone within a day of travel around the town to come down with a migraine. Come and pick it up? It's down with a dose of Sleep Powder. Great. Thanks, Joy. I'll be lifting with you to Saffron. I need a very hot, very long shower before I feel well again. Ivy could use a check-up as well. Who knows what that Hypno caused with his fury."

Watching over the sleeping Hypno until the ambulance came, Isabelle was glad the town didn't have to struggle with the guy anymore. She did wonder what caused such anger, though.