#052 Meowth

Meowth, the Scratch Cat Pokémon. Meowth withdraws its sharp claws into its paws to slinkily sneak about without making any incriminating footsteps. For some reason, this Pokémon loves shiny coins that glitter with light.

To earn some money to live on, Nurse Isabelle occasionally worked in a Pokémon centre whenever there was one in town. Having done the morning shift, Isabelle walked through town as she reflected back on the Pokémon she treated today. One was particularly worrying since it showed no sign of progress. Its problems didn't appear to be physical, so Isabelle had no idea how to treat it.

Somehow, Isabelle had managed to walk into a street filled with Pokémon fashion boutiques. In one of these, which looked far less flashy than the other ones, a lady with long, green hair sat talking to her Vulpix. Intrigued, Isabelle entered.

The shop looked clean and even smelled pleasantly like flowers. Isabelle seemed to be the only customer at the moment, so she knelt in front of the pedestal where Vulpix sat and admired her shiny coat.

"She looks so gorgeous, but she doesn't look like you used any curlers or anything. How did you get your Vulpix this way?" Isabelle asked the green-haired lady, who stood nearby.

"With lots of care and love. I believe the Pokémon's inner beauty can shine through. I'm Suzy, by the way, and this is my Vulpix."

Isabelle shook her hand. "I'm Isabelle, a Pokémon nurse." She thought for a moment. "Could you help me? I have a bit of trouble with a Pokémon of mine. She seems very upset these days, yet it has no physical cause. Maybe she's just stressed. Could you help me? Since you're a massager, after all."

"Of course. I'd love to help nurses. You don't need to pay. Consider this my tribute of appreciation of what you do for Pokémon."

Isabelle summoned Wartortle. "This is her. Wartortle is very keen on hygiene and loves to keep her beautiful tail groomed."

While Suzy brushed Wartortle's tail, groomed her shell, and massaged her paws some, Isabelle sat in a sofa nearby, watching them. For once, Wartortle looked absolutely happy, the happiest she'd seen her Water-type since she caught it. It made her sad.

"So, you're able to make Pokémon feel better by massaging them?" When Suzy affirmed that, Isabelle continued: "I've got a depressed Pokémon at the centre, and we're unsure how to treat it. It's physically okay. Well, it's a stray, so it looks a bit rough, but there's nothing we can do for it at the centre. Could you take a look at it? I can bring it if you want. Wartortle could use the relaxation."

Upon Suzy's agreement to take a look at it, Isabelle rushed to the Pokémon centre to pick up the Pokémon, briefly explaining to the afternoon shift Joy what she was going to do. Since the Joy didn't seem to care much what she did, Isabelle gathered the Pokémon in her arms and carefully walked out.

The Meowth did not respond much. She just curled up in a ball against her chest, mewling occasionally as if in pain, but extended tests could not find the source.

Coming back to Suzy's salon, Wartortle's treatment was done. Her shell was all shiny now and she was chatting animatedly with Vulpix. Wartortle makes some strange friends, type-wise. First an Electric type, Dom's Raichu; and now a Fire type, this Vulpix.

While those two entertained each other, Suzy and Izzy worked together to wash, trim, and massage the Meowth. At first, she wasn't too keen on the bath, but she seemed to really love the brushing and the massaging, causing her to purr adorably. The amount of attention and love the two ladies gave the feline seemed to revive the lacklustre Meowth. Within an hour, it was as good as new, maybe even better.

Their work had not gone unnoticed. A well-dressed lady stood in the salon, holding a Vulpix in a leash with a diamond collar. As Isabelle made eye contact with the lady, both recognised the other. "You."

"Oh, it's you. I see you took my advice and finally washed that filthy Wartortle of yours. See how much better it looks?" The lady said haughtily.

Isabelle had met this lady when she visited a Pokémon centre specialised on echolocation. The event was now known among Izzy and her friends as the Golbat Pandemonium.

Isabelle didn't bother to reply to the lady. She merely crossed her arms over her chest. Yet again, Isabelle looked shabbily. Her trousers were wet from washing, she had cat hair all over her shirt, and some strands of her braid had gotten loose and curled in her flustered face.

"Oh, look at that gorgeous Meowth! I've just got to have her. Is she yours, Suzy dear?"

Suzy shook her head. "It's from the Pokémon centre. Brought in yesterday, alone and starving."

"That's just perfect! My little Vulpix was getting lonely." The lady with the pearl necklace scooped the Meowth up, who was still purring and now rubbed her perfumed head against the lady's chin. "Come on, Vulpix. Let's go adopt this adorable little cat. She'll be your sister!"

Chattering more nonsense like that, the lady left the salon with the Meowth, leaving both Suzy and Izzy slightly confused.

"All right... I suppose that's a happy ending for that Meowth," Suzy offered with a small smile. Isabelle just shook her head, unable to believe in a woman as superficial as the one with the Vulpix and the Meowth.