#114 Tangela

Tangela, the Vine Pokémon. Tangela can ensnare and entangle anything that moves too close to it with its vines. The vines constantly jiggle and sway, unnerving enemies and deterring herbivores that might mistake Tangela for a shrub. Tangela's vines will snap off easily and painlessly if the target pulls on them, suggesting that the ensnaring is intended to scare off potential predators.

No matter how big the detour, Nurse Isabelle would always try to visit Celadon City whenever she passed even remotely close, just to visit her friend Erika. Ivysaur had also been feeling a bit down since Izzy had let Chansey join, since she worked a lot with the spirited Egg Pokémon. Alongside Chansey, Izzy's team now consisted of Ivysaur, Dewgong, Pidgeot, and Ponyta.

So, to cheer Ivysaur up, they were going to Erika's Gym. The well-kept greenhouse could cheer up any Grass-type like a natural body of water could cheer up a Water-type. Flying-types just needed open air. They were easily pleased like that.

That's how Isabelle found herself at Celadon Gym, having tea with Erika on the grassy area in the middle of the gym, where battles were fought. Erika held a Tangela on her lap, feeding it bits of berries, while Ivysaur explored the fragrant foliage nearby and seemingly had a great time.

As Isabelle told her friend about the Chansey she had taken under her wing, one of the trainers ran up to Erika, notifying her of a challenger that wished to battle today. The girl was Juliet, whom she had met on earlier visits. With her was Rosie, who had evolved from a shy Bulbasaur to a very gorgeous Ivysaur. She kept the darker skin colour and her rose-shaped bulb was the most brilliant, ruby red she had ever seen.

Her own Ivysaur seemed to agree with his trainer that Rosie looked gorgeous. As soon as he spotted, or smelled her, he came running so swiftly he bumped into the table, causing the tea to spill. Both ladies made a comment of protest but Ivysaur did not listen. He only had eyes for Rosie. He stared at her as if his whole world had been in black and white before he met her.

"Oh dear," Erika said amused, letting Tangela go to wander off. "Love is in the air."

Isabelle didn't know what to think. One part of her was really excited for Ivysaur that he found someone he was truly interested in. Rosie didn't seem too repulsed by the idea either, judging from her little coos and shy behaviour. But on the other side, this was her Ivy! Her starter!

"You like her, eh?" Isabelle said softly. When Ivysaur turned around, she saw some of her own conflict in him. A choice between his human and the most gorgeous Ivysaur he had ever seen? Isabelle knelt on the ground, next to the two. "Would you like to stay with her? Here, at Celadon Gym?" Izzy sneaked a glance at Erika, who nodded, giving her non-verbal consent that Ivysaur was allowed to stay as long as he wished.

"Saur..." came the reply. Ivy rubbed his head against Rosie's before waggling over to Izzy. As he placed his paws on her thighs and rubbed the hide of his face against Izzy's cheek, she knew this was goodbye. He longed to stay with Rosie. Wrapping her arms around his bulb and body tightly, she hugged her starter tightly. Neither needed to say anything.

A bit later, as Juliet walked back to the lobby to welcome the challenger, Rosie and Ivy followed her. With a trembling lower lip, Isabelle watched them go before handing over Ivysaur's Pokéball to Erika.

"Take good care of him," she said, hating how her voice broke. "He means a lot to me." Erika nodded and hugged her friend.

"Like he's one of my own."