#064 Kadabra

#064 Kadabra

Kadabra, the Psi Pokémon. The evolved form of Abra. Kadabra holds a silver spoon in its hand. The spoon is used to amplify the alpha waves in its brain. Without the spoon, the Pokémon is said to be limited to half the usual amount of its telekinetic powers. Kadabra emits a peculiar alpha wave if it develops a headache. Only those people with a particularly strong psyche can hope to become a trainer of this Pokémon.

In the Saffron City Pokémon centre, Nurse Isabelle was packing her medical bag. The sun had already set, but she wished to have this done so she wouldn't have to do it in the morning. She checked whether her berries weren't spoiled and whether she had enough to cure every kind of infliction, be it poison or confusion, or anything else.

Some fluttering could be heard and then something descended on the windowsill of the open window. Expecting some stray Pidgey, Isabelle was surprised to see a massive Venomoth there. Walking to the window, she took the note from it. The note was written in dark purple, cursive letters, which Isabelle recognised as Sabrina's, for she had kept her previous note. The handwriting was shaky, though, and spoke of great peril. Nurse Evergreen must come at once, she'd written. With a sigh and a longing look at her bed, Izzy picked up her medical bag and told Venomoth to meet her in front of the centre.

Through the dark streets of Saffron, Isabelle ran next to Venomoth as it led the way to the Gym. Isabelle didn't know the town well enough to find it on her own, late at night. In case Venomoth might spread poisonous pollen Isabelle ran next to it, instead of behind it, but it sure could fly fast. With so much running involved in the life of a Pokémon nurse, no one even had the chance to get fat.

The gym wasn't hard to recognise. The building's features were dark and obscured, but many people ran out of the building, in panic. Some carried their Abra or Venonat, others cradled a bent spoon as if it were the most valuable item they owned. At the doorway, Isabelle met up with Sabrina.

True to her character, Sabrina looked absolutely calm. Her dark green hair was perfectly groomed and smooth, and her red robes were unwrinkled. She smiled serenely when Isabelle came up to her.

"So, why is everyone panicked?" Isabelle asked casually as if this was entirely normal.

"Kadabra is having a nightmare," Sabrina merely stated.

"So?"

"He is currently sleepwalking and believes he's under attack. He has attacked everyone on sight with his Confusion, sending them flying."

"Hm... That's bad. All right, I'm going in. Team!" Isabelle released all of her Pokémon. "We've got a sleepwalking Kadabra that's attacking at random. We have to wake him up!" She frowned slightly at Ivysaur, who would wake up at sunrise exactly and want to play. "You should be good at that," Ivysaur merely grinned at the nurse.

Inside the gym, it was an absolute mess. Chairs lay broken on their sides as if smashed against the walls. Tables were overturned with legs missing. Thank goodness all of the Pokémon seemed to have gotten out.

The Kadabra wasn't hard to find. He kept shouting his name as he flung dolls from a creepy-looking doll house around.

"Hey!" Isabelle shouted, causing the Psi Pokémon to turn around. It didn't seem to wake him up, though, since he raised his single spoon at Isabelle. However, at the last moment, his attack hit Ivysaur, who had been sneaking close. The little Grass Type was flung backwards and slid a little over the smooth floor. When he got up, he shook his head, entirely disoriented.

What he did after that was so unexpected yet amazing, Isabelle would tell everyone about it. In his confusion, he looked at Kadabra, charged while shouting, and Headbutted it with more physical power she knew the Bulb Pokémon had or ever would have.

Kadabra and Ivysaur crashed down on the floor and Kadabra hit his head on the table the dollhouse was on. When he sat up, he held his head, having probably a massive headache, and looked around confused at the mess.

Isabelle cheered and cradled Ivysaur in her arms, curing his Confusion for him with love.