#105 Marowak

Marowak, the Bone Keeper Pokémon. The evolved form of Cubone. Marowak is the evolved form of a Cubone that has overcome its sadness at the loss of its mother and grown tough. This Pokémon's tempered and hardened spirit is not easily broken.

Occasionally, emotions run high in a Pokémon Centre. Not only does more praying happen there than in any religious building, but also happiness, sadness, and anger can be found there. A case of anger drew Nurse Isabelle's attention.

In treatment room seven, a Marowak laid with a severe skull break. Because the skull was obviously attached to the Pokémon, the poor guy would have to stay in the centre for a long while until he was out of danger.

His trainer, however, did not seem pleased. Instead of being angry at the nurse for keeping his Pokémon for so long, as was normally the case, the teenager was furious at his Marowak. For nearly an hour, the kid's yells could be heard on how he had messed up and what he could have done better.

Eventually, Isabelle had gone in and told the kid to leave, claiming Marowak needed rest to heal up. Without looking at the nurse, he dashed out. With a sigh of relief, Isabelle sat down in one of the chairs after offering Marowak his bowl of Pokéfood and Oran berries. The poor guy certainly could use a painkiller with the raging headache he ought to have by now.

Of all Pokémon, Marowak seemed to be one of the hardest to read. After their mother's death, they had completely shut down and adopted this tough mask. At times, she worried how damaged the Pokémon underneath that strong façade was, but if Marowak would not let her in, she would never find out. It was not her business anyway. All she had to do was to make sure Marowak healed properly.

One of Isabelle's worse traits was that she could not keep her mouth shut when the subject was on Pokémon welfare. So when the kid entered the centre again in the morning, Isabelle approached him and took him to a quiet place.

"Listen to me. Your Marowak is in bad shape. However mad you may be at him, it will not help your Pokémon. He could die if you cause him to work harder. He needs rest!"

The kid looked down in shame. As he processed her words, Isabelle reflected on that he could have been her younger brother. He only seemed a year or four younger than her.

"My name isn't 'kid'. I'm Jack, and I'm sorry. I was too hard. I ..." He ran a hand through his hair. His voice had a vague rural accent, as if he was from one of the islands down south. "I don't even have an excuse for my behaviour. I'd like to apologise to Marowak and do my best to make sure he recovers. Tonight was one of the loneliest nights I've had since I got him as a Cubone, wailing all night," he added with a grimace, causing Izzy to chuckle. "I don't want to lose him, nurse."

"Come on, let's go see how he's doing. He's quite a tough cookie, that Marowak of yours. Almost as thick-headed as you," she said with a playful smile. Jack scoffed but did not say much.

Isabelle waited near the door as Jack went inside treatment room number seven. Jack held this entire monologue on how much he had been a let-down, and how the Pokémon is only as strong as the trainer is. Then it went silent for a long while before a loud clunk sounded.

Looking inside, startled, Isabelle saw Jack sitting in a pleading position with his head bowed down and Marowak with his bone club on the back of Jack's head, as if he had just smacked him. They stood still like this for a moment, before laughing loudly. All seemed to be well. Marowak had 'punished' Jack for being dumb and Jack has learnt a valuable lesson.