#091 Cloyster

Cloyster, the Bivalve Pokémon. The evolved form of Shellder. Cloyster is capable of swimming in the sea. It does so by swallowing water, then jetting it out toward the rear. This Pokémon shoots spikes from its shell using the same system.

Disembarking from the ferry from Cinnabar Island, the first thing Nurse Isabelle noticed was the sounds of what she assumed was a fight happening. She could hear the cries of Pokémon, the cheers from those watching, and the commands of the trainers. Approaching the ruckus, Isabelle watched silently for a while.

The battle seemed to be between Lt Surge and his nasty Raichu, and Lorelei and a Cloyster. Both trainers seemed enraged, though Surge more the furious kind of enraged and Lorelei seemed indignant, as if her very being had been insulted.

Despite having the type advantage, Raichu had trouble getting through Cloyster's hard shell. When it withdrew, it seemed to take no damage at all.

Everyone watching seemed to root for Lorelei for some reason. Izzy knew that the Vermillion Gym Leader was not very popular, but this seemed rather harsh. Gently, Isabelle nudged the woman standing next to her.

"What's going on?" She asked quietly.

"The lieutenant has been caught in the act of Pokémon smuggling. Crates of Magnemite. Lorelei of the Elite Four caught him and is challenging him to a battle. If he loses, he could lose his gym!" The woman told her.

"Oh dear..." Isabelle mumbled. This was very bad. While she had heard no good things about Surge, smuggling had not been something she expected him to do. Izzy wondered how much of the rumour was true. Though, if he's innocent, the police should be able to find out. The truth always wins, right?

In a moment of inattentiveness, Isabelle missed the winning move, but when the crowd cheered, it was clear who had won.

"Lieutenant Surge! You are hereby arrested for Pokémon smuggling!" Jenny's voice rang out loud and clear. "You have been suspended from your duties as Vermillion City Gym Leader. Take him away, boys. Everyone, disperse! Nothing to see here."

As the crowd thinned, Isabelle remained standing. Lorelei recalled her Cloyster, looking absolutely exhausted.

"Tough day?" Isabelle asked as she approached the older lady.

"Hm? Oh, you're that nurse. Yeah, you could say that." All Lorelei's fire has been extinguished.

"How sure are you of Surge's guilt?"

"One hundred percent. I caught him carrying the crates of Magnemite onto the ship. Red-handed."

Isabelle nodded slowly. "I never expected this."

"I knew he wasn't pure. War does that to a man. But to resort to this is rather extreme." Lorelei ran a hand through her red hair.

"Who'll be the substitute Gym Leader?" Practical as ever.

"One of the Gym Trainers. A Pokémon Official will deal with that. I believe most Joys are trained for that?" Lorelei shot a questioning look at the blond nurse.

"I don't have the certification for that yet. The requirement is at least 5 years of active duty. I'm only in my second year."

"Ah yes. If you excuse me, I am exhausted, and I'd like to take a good nap at the Centre. Been up all night to catch that guy."

"I'll join you. I was planning on going there anyway."

With a sad feeling in her stomach, Isabelle followed the lady, who was swaying on her feet. She did not like Surge, but to be humiliated in front of the town he had lived in for several years seemed quite harsh. But, then again, Pokémon smuggling was inexcusable. After lunch, she'd visit the Gym. Maybe her sailor friend, with his Pikachu and Magnemite, would be around. They always cheered her up.