#139 Omastar

Omastar, the Spiral Pokémon. The evolved form of Omanyte. Just as its pre-evolved form, Omastar has been extinct since before written history. Knowledge of this Pokémon is limited, but it is known that its shell constantly grows, getting heavier over time and thus limiting its mobility. It is the weight of the shell that is most often theorised as the cause for Omastar's extinction. Omastar had a powerful jaw which was used to bite down on its victim with immense power. Even the hard shells of prehistoric Shellder stood no match to Omastar's deadly powerful bite. - Nurse Evergreen

Nurse Wendy Foxglove might have been one of the oddest girls Gary Oak has ever met. There was no doubt she was qualified; he'd researched her thoroughly and discovered that Evergreen and Foxglove had indeed been classmates, graduating from the same school in the same year. Yet this girl was nothing like the confident blonde that was obliging his grandfather's obsession. Gary had difficulties deciding what the sandy-haired nurse was like at all.

For starters, she was highly passionate about Pokémon. Often, he would find she had wandered off in the middle of his explanation to pet one of the curious Pokémon that had approached the fence they neared. When she had disappeared for the third time, Gary stopped fighting it. He sat down on top of the wooden barricade and watched as the girl with the Jigglypuff skirt fondly whispered to a Slowpoke that was lounging nearby. She even picked it up, soiling her cute outfit, and carried it back to the water where the rest of its kind was. She stayed away for a while before returning with a few stones of a rusty colour. Gary could not see any value in them, but Nurse Foxglove clearly did.

"Here," she said, extending her dirty hands to him, clutching the rocks. "I found them over at the water. They reminded me of the maroon colour of your hair."

This was so unexpected that Gary barked out a laugh, startling the pretty girl in front of him. His laughter softened into a warm smile. "Thank you. It's just that ... no one has ever done that before. Found rocks that reminded them of me. It's sweet." He accepted the rocks and wrapped them in a handkerchief before placing them in his pocket. When he looked up, she was beaming at him as if pocketing her gift made her the happiest woman alive. What a strange, but oddly endearing girl.

Meanwhile, at the laboratory, Isabelle stood with her legs in the water of the natural lake made for water-Pokémon under Oak's care. She had an Omanyte in her arms but no matter how hard she tried to sooth it, it would whimper and wiggle if she tried to lower it into the water. Even the evolved form, found hiding underneath some equipment in the lab itself did not wish to get anywhere near the water. Something in there scared them, for it was proven that Omanyte and its evolved form were water-typed.

As Isabelle approached land again, Omastar, the evolved form, cowered behind Oak's legs as if it were scared Izzy would try to dunk it again. When she put Omanyte back on the ground, it also hid behind Oak's legs, causing Isabelle to sigh.

"Something's wrong with that water and I'm going to find out what," she decided, pulling a Pokéball from her belt. With a swift throw, she summoned Dewgong. "Dewgong, please. Omanyte and Omastar are too scared to go into the water. Could you try to find out if something's the matter?"

"Dew gong gong gong!" With that cry, the ivory-coloured Pokémon disappeared into the surprisingly deep lake.

"How did you obtain such a natural-looking lake, anyway, Professor? It's almost like a mini ocean," Isabelle asked as they waited for her currently primary water-type to return.

"It was here when I settled here. It was rather Muk-y, but with donations from trainers all over the region, this place was cleaned up. Now, it's become a sanctuary to store Pokémon, so trainers can own more than six. In return for caring for them, I'm allowed to study all of them, which has improved my research immensely. If we could only get these fossils to settle, too, it'd be amazing."

Dewgong returned shortly after, looking much refreshed after such a swim but without any clue why the Omanyte and Omastar refused to enter the water. As Dewgong swam as close to the water's edge as he could, the two fossils suddenly began to move towards the sea lion. With their little tentacles, they rubbed Dewgong's slippery coat, rubbing themselves all against it. Confused, Isabelle watched and a sidewards glance told her Oak didn't have much explanation to give either.

"Are they ... choosing Dewgong as their mother or kin, or something like that?" Isabelle asked. The Pokémon Professor nodded thoughtfully, mumbling something that sounded like a hesitant affirmative.

Dewgong seemed to know exactly what was going on and led the two Pokémon, that were feeling lost in this strange world, out into the water. Effortlessly, they swam rounds as if they've been doing this for years.

"Say, Professor. I think I might need to store my Dewgong here for as long as these two need him."

"I think you're right, Nurse Evergreen. I'm sorry to ask this of you," Oak responded. Isabelle merely sighed.

"I'm okay with it. I've got a baby Lapras to raise anyway, and it's for the best. Look at him. My playful, jolly Dewgong, suddenly taking a fatherly role. Who knew he'd wanted to be a father? If I had known, I would have introduced him to Lapras, but I hadn't had the time yet. Dewgong's very strong, you see, and I was afraid he might hurt her. She's still so young..."

"An understandable concern. Do not worry, Miss Evergreen. Your Dewgong will be well cared for."

"Thank you, Professor. I hope that I might visit him, sometimes."

At that moment, Wendy and Gary joined them. Izzy glanced disapprovingly at how filthy Wendy had become. Her clothing was wet and slightly muddy, and she had something on her hands that seemed like dirt. She did not even want to ask how that happened. Izzy probably had no right of speaking. When Pokémon were involved, she, too, became filthy occasionally.

"I'd like to accept your internship, Professor," Wendy said chipperly. Oak looked surprised at this, Gary smiled as if relieved, and Isabelle hugged her introverted friend, as she whispered how proud she was of her. Gary remained nearby, almost protectively. Isabelle did not mind. Just as Dominic cared for Izzy, Wendy could use someone to hold her as she was in one of her dreamy, floaty moods. She would be more than all right here in Pallet, Isabelle thought as she glanced at Gary.