#082 Magneton

Magneton, the Magnet Pokémon. The evolved form of Magnemite. Magneton emits a powerful magnetic force that is fatal to mechanical devices. As a result, large cities sound sirens to warn citizens of large-scale outbreaks of this Pokémon.

The morning after her night at the inn, Nurse Isabelle walked through the streets of Vermillion. She was feeling less than stellar because it had become quite late last night and her biological clock awoke her just after dawn again. Maybe she could get a nap in the afternoon. That'd be nice.

As she walked the streets just behind the harbour, she watched the little shops advertise fish cooked fresh from the sea. Since some fresh fish sounded good, she joined the queue in front of one of the shops, enjoying the gentle morning sun that warmed her face. It would become summer soon, which meant her freckles would show up again. Can't wait, she thought sarcastically. Her freckles always made her look younger than she was, which didn't help in her occupation. She idly mused whether Dom would appreciate them; they'd not yet been together long enough for him to find out.

When it was nearly her turn to order, there was an enormous noise from the next shop over. The glass in the store on her right was smashed, which had startled Isabelle so much that she leapt a meter in the air. Several Magnemite and Magneton came flying out, bouncing up and down in their flight as if both drunk and hyperactive at the same time. How they managed, Izzy did not know, but they got away. The store owner just watched them go, sighing. Leaving her place in the queue, Isabelle joined the man.

"What happened just now?"

"Those Magnemite and Magneton you saw are addicted to electricity." The man looked dejected, unsure of what could be done. "They come here and suck all the batteries empty. It's becoming really annoying, but when they're hyper like that, they're too fast to be caught."

Isabelle thought for a moment. "Don't worry. I have an idea." Then she ran off, first towards the police station. Having explained the plan to the officers, Isabelle went to the harbour as the police readied for action.

"Men! Men! I need your help!" Isabelle proclaimed as she came running over the docks. The sailors gathered around her. Most of them recognised her from the night before, and those that didn't were soon filled in by their buddies. "Surely, you know the problems the addicted Magnemite and Magneton are causing? Well, I have an idea. You're going to catch them." The men all started talking at once. Isabelle held up her hand to silence them. "The police are currently gathering electronic devices that will lure them and will attack them at my command. Then, when they're weakened, you'll catch them. They'd be so much more useful if they could work alongside of you in the harbour. Magneton are insanely powerful with their magnetism. You could pay them in batteries, and the whole town would be happy."

The men had to agree. It was a rather decent plan. Searching their pockets for Pokéballs, they followed Izzy to the main square where she had promised to meet the police. Already, some Magnemite were hovering nearby, zipping away whenever a sailor or officer got too close.

The plan worked perfectly. When all appliances were turned on, over a dozen Magnemite and half a dozen Magneton showed up, unable to resist the electricity. Using all Pokémon the police had, they launched a mass attack on the troublesome Pokémon. Whenever one went down, a sailor threw a Pokéball and caught it without effort. As Isabelle predicted, they were too drunk to be able to resist.

In less than fifteen minutes, all of the Pokémon were caught and the shops were safe again. She high-fived some of the officers and was kissed on the cheek by some of the sailors. Izzy couldn't stop grinning. It felt so good to do good, with her knowledge of Pokémon. Maybe studying the magnetism of Magnemite hadn't been such a waste of time after all.

Ona less happy note, Isabelle never had her fish.