#044 Gloom

Gloom, the Weed Pokémon. The evolved form of Oddish. It trickles sticky nectar from its mouth with the appearance and consistency of drool. This can be used as a fertilizer for plants. Both this nectar and the flower on Gloom's head release a foul odour strong enough to induce fainting in humans over a mile away. However, it can also attract prey, and even a very small number of humans find it pleasing. This odour is a key ingredient for some perfume production. When it is in danger, the odour worsens, but it will not emit its odour if it feels safe. Gloom lives in grassy plains.

In a world so focussed around Pokémon, special accommodations are made for them. The most commonly known institute is the Pokémon centre, but there are also Pokémon spas, Pokémon hotels, and even Pokémon playgrounds. It's at one such playground that Isabelle finds herself. On benches all around, the trainers are sitting, bragging about their Pokémon while they play on slides and monkey bars.

Approaching the playground, Isabelle saw that while most trainers looked pleased, one did not. A girl stood a bit away from the others, keeping her distance from a Gloom that stood near her. As Izzy approached, she saw that the girl was about fifteen years old and the Gloom obviously belonged to her from the way it was staring at the dark-haired girl.

"Hey there," Isabelle greeted kindly. The girl merely gave her a quick smile and looked away again, not looking at her Gloom.

Said Gloom emitted a rather strong odour, which worried Isabelle a little. Gloom only smelled like this when not feeling safe or when being upset because of sickness for example.

"Hey, your Gloom smells a little. What's wrong with it? Is it scared of the other Pokémon?" Isabelle nudged her head to the playground where a Sandshrew was just sliding down the slide with a delighted squee. The girl shook her head.

"The other Pokémon don't want to play with her. She stinks," The girl said, bitterly.

Isabelle rose to her full height, crossed her arms over her chest, and frowned. Instead of attacking her outright, Izzy held back.

"Can you tell me about yourself and your Gloom."

With an exasperated sigh, the girl sat down on a stone bench and stared at the adorable Charmander stumbling around in the sand.

"I'm Rebecca. I used to have an Oddish, who was the cutest ever. She was so playful and affectionate. Everyone loved her. But then she evolved into this," Rebecca said it with a sneer on her face, which made her look rather ugly. Gloom flinched as well, hiding herself behind her hands with the logic that if she couldn't see, she couldn't be seen.

"What kind of awful trainer are you?" Isabelle demanded to know in a harsh tone. The girl looked up, startled at the angry nurse. "This Gloom is still your affectionate Oddish, you know? Their personalities don't always change when their bodies do. Gloom is upset because you don't love her anymore. This much is clear. If you show Gloom the love you showed Oddish, she'll even smell nice."

Rebecca stared at Isabelle dumbstruck. Then, after a minute of staring at each other, the dark haired girl turned around and faced Gloom. Hesitantly, she opened her arms as an invite to a hug. After an unsure glance at Izzy which was received with a reassuring nod, Gloom rushed forward into the hug, exclaiming excitedly. As the two hugged, the stench faded away. Gloom did not smell as nice as Izzy's Ivysaur just yet, but they were getting there.

"Don't judge a Pokémon on its looks or scent. Gloom loves you very much, Rebecca." And with that, Isabelle left them alone.