#034 Nidoking

Nidoking, the Drill Pokémon. The evolved form of Nidorino and the final evolution of the male Nidoran. It is said that Nidoking's tail is capable of toppling a metal transmission tower. Nidoking uses this tail to smash, constrict, or break the bones of its prey and enemies. The tail can be swung to create distance between it and its foes before Nidoking charges. Its steel-like hide adds to its powerful, rampaging charges. Nidoking lives in grasslands.

Nurse Isabelle was a firm believer in quality time with her Pokémon. Today, she was taking care of her Pidgeotto. She'd been training him for search and rescue, which included steady flying, strength, and many other useful skills. Only this morning had he officially finished his training to become one of the first Medical Birds. Pidgeotto seemed to love doing the training. He always had had a knack for the daring activities, but Izzy never thought her bird was so heroic. With his chest puffed out, he extended his right leg so Isabelle could attach the wrap around it to mark him as a Medical Bird. No matter which Pokémon centre or even pharmacy he went, this wrap ensured he would be given whatever Nurse Isabelle asked for on an official note.

In the main hall, a commotion could be heard. The double doors had swung open and many men entered. Most of them were in black with sunglasses. The fifth one, flanked by the men, wore a brown suit. Mr Brown Suit slammed his hand on the counter, startling a young Joy, and demanded that someone was to heal his Nidoking. Sighing, Isabelle smoothed down the skirt of the trademark nurse uniform and headed over to the main hall, leaving Pidgeotto to observe his wrap in the mirror.

"Can I help you, sirs?" Isabelle asked in her best, most professional voice, even though she had little patience with such demanding, arrogant men. Mr Brown Suit turned around to face her. As his eyes dragged from her head to her shoes and back, Isabelle looked at him. She realised who he was and her stomach dropped. He was Giovanni, Viridian Gym Leader and suspected member of Team Rocket. Nothing has been proven yet, unfortunately. Giovanni was a tall, broad man. He could have been handsome one day, but all the smirks and frowns that appeared on his face made him look rather frightening. It did not help that he had several bodyguards, all taller than both Isabelle and Giovanni.

"You're no Joy," Giovanni stated, crossing his arms. Isabelle merely smiled.

"That would be correct, sir. I am Nurse Isabelle. Just as medically trained as all the Joys. At your service," she gave the tiniest of curtsies, just to mock him. She pulled her braided hair over one shoulder after it had slipped off.

Giovanni seemed to think for a moment before deciding he did not care which nurse he was talking to. He extended his hand and threw a Pokéball at Isabelle.

"Nidoking is crippled. His Poison Point is no longer working. Without his Poison, he is of no use to me. Make sure he gets his poison back or make sure he doesn't wake up." Giovanni growled. This startled Isabelle, but she did not dare lecture him. She bowed her head, cradling the Pokéball in her hand, and motioned for the group to follow her to Examining Room 1.

In there, she released Nidoking from his ball and ran a general series of tests on him. The Nidoking was exceptionally well trained. It did not move a muscle without the command of his trainer. He didn't even listen to Isabelle much. Izzy noticed that this Nidoking was buffer than any she had seen before. Giovanni apparently didn't only keep his own body in shape.

The cause of the lack of poison was surprisingly easy to find, even though Isabelle had expected this result.

"Your Nidoking isn't crippled, sir. He is merely exhausted. Has Nidoking been in a lot of battles, recently? Yes? I thought so. Using his ability so often caused Nidoking to run out of poison. Nothing incurable. Too many battles and not enough rest. Don't use Nidoking for battles for the coming week and he should be fine. If you doubt he will, you can bring him back next week for a new check-up, and the Joy on duty will tell you the same."

Isabelle patted Nidoking's shoulder. "You've taken good care of Nidoking. I'm always pleased to see that. I'd prefer it if I could examine your other Pokémon, too. If it's too much hassle to bring them all here, we could arrange a date that I visit your Gym and examine them there."

With an appointment in her agenda to visit Viridian Gym for an examination, Isabelle said goodbye to Giovanni and his men, exhaling deeply. That man was terrifying and had the ability to make everyone feel uncomfortable.