#046 Paras

Paras, the Mushroom Pokémon. Red-and-yellow mushrooms known as tochukaso grow on this Pokémon's back. The mushrooms can be removed at any time, and grow from spores that are doused on this Pokémon's back at birth by the mushroom on its mother's back. Tochukaso are parasitic in nature, drawing their nutrients from the host Paras's body in order to grow and exerting some command over the Pokémon's actions. For example, Paras drains nutrients from tree roots due to commands from the mushrooms. The mushrooms are also popular among collectors and have medicinal uses, usually involving extended life. It is shown that Paras can often be found in caves. However, it can also thrive in damp forests with high amounts of humidity where conditions are ideal for fungi.

Despite trying to, Nurse Isabelle is unable to sleep in the Pokémon centre every night. Tonight was such a case. In a tiny village whose name she did not know, Izzy knocked on the door of a house in a calm and quiet street. A hand-painted sign told people that this was a 'Bed and Breakfast', which was basically a place to spend the night, grab some breakfast and be on your way again. With so many kids trying to become a Pokémon master, these businesses popped up everywhere.

An old lady opened the door. It was the kind of elderly woman that had obviously raised quite a few children and hadn't been able to quell the desire to take care of others. While some adopted Pokémon, others did something like this. Isabelle bowed her head respectfully.

"Good evening, ma'am. Is it true you provide bed and breakfast services? My Pokémon and I are weary from travel," The smile on the lady's face caused the corners of Izzy's mouth the curl up as well.

"Oh yes! Please, come in! We even have some supper left, if you're hungry." The lady spied the badges on her backpack and the official badge on her hip. "A Pokémon nurse? A genuine one? Oh my goodness." The woman looked absolutely ecstatic. She turned around as if preparing to call for someone, only to deflate a little when she assumedly realised there was no one to call for.

"I assure you, my Pokémon are very well behaved. They'd sleep so much better if I could let them out of their balls. Is that okay with you, ma'am?" Isabelle asked as she headed inside, accepting the offer of supper. It was obvious the woman was lonely, so Izzy would do her best to make this a good evening for her.

"Oh, please, let them out. It's been so long since I heard their little paws over the ground. They're little, right? My house can't take a Charizard or Fearow." Isabelle smiled and assured her they weren't as big as those. Opening their balls, she introduced the lady to Ivysaur, Wartortle, and Pidgeotto.

As they all ate supper in the lady's kitchen, listening to Ma'am Umberta's life story, Izzy noticed Wartortle did not look at her. Like a sulking child, she ate her food silently and then inched away from her teammates, who were chattering lively. The lady spoiled them by offering them homemade Pokémon food.

"So, tomorrow is our annual festival, and we'd be so honoured if a genuine Pokémon nurse could be there! There will be a competition and if you could be in the jury, everyone would accept the results." Madame Umberta suddenly said, in an excited manner. "Unlike last time," she muttered, which was probably not meant for Izzy's ears.

Isabelle smiled, a bit uncomfortably. "If I could repay you for your kindness by evaluating Pokémon well-being, then it'd be my pleasure."

Unfortunately for Izzy, those were quite some famous last words. The over-excitement of the villagers made her uncomfortable, and by the time she was placed in a seat of honour at the jury table, she already had a migraine and wished she could just leave. But the horrors of the day had not ended yet. The competition still had to start.

"Welcome, townspeople and honoured lady Nurse, to the annual Paras competition!" The ringleader announced, causing Izzy to pale a little. Paras? Hundreds of Paras to inspect?

And yes, indeed. Hundreds of Paras. This one had slightly bigger mushrooms than the other, the other one had glossier eyes – which only meant it wasn't as possessed yet – and yet another one had a gentler voice. Paras in all sizes, scuffling over the stage. It was torment. It was torture!

By the time the sun set, Isabelle was relieved when she hung a medal around the winning Paras's mushrooms. She declined all offers of staying another night at the town, proclaiming to have important work to do, and left with her backpack as soon as she could. She'd rather sleep out in the open than another night in Paras town.