#035 Clefairy

Clefairy, the Fairy Pokémon. Clefairy is very shy and rarely shows itself to humans. On the rare occasions it does come down from its mountain home, it can be seen dancing under the light of the full moon. Once the sun starts to rise, it returns home where it sleeps nestled with other Clefairy. Though incapable of flight, Clefairy's wings can store moonlight and allow it to float.

A rustling sound woke Nurse Isabelle up. She was sleeping in one of the guest rooms of a small-town Pokémon centre. Sleepily, Isabelle looked at her bedside clock, which told her it was in the middle of the night, somewhere between two and three in the morning. Stroking her long, curly hair away from her face, she tried to figure out what woke her. Something pale and radiating was searching through her bag before going back to the open window. 'Clefairy,' it chanted before leaping out.

Suddenly awake now, Isabelle leapt out of her bed and looked out of the window. There, radiant in the light of the full moon, bounced the Clefairy soundlessly through the sleeping town, aside from occasionally singing its name. Isabelle hurried to get dressed. She pulled some trousers over her Raichu-orange pyjama shorts and merely swung her coat over her black pyjama shirt on which a Raichu was sleeping with an old-fashioned nightcap on. She quickly pulled on her sneakers, grabbed her Pokéballs and was out in less than five minutes.

Her long, golden blond hair whipped in the wind behind her as Isabelle chased the Clefairy. Searching for clothing to wear had revealed something was missing from her bag. Her necklace with the teardrop hanger made of iridescent crystal. It had been an 18th birthday gift from her mother and she was rather fond of it. Unfortunately, with her line of work, she couldn't wear it, but she always kept it with her. Now, the Clefairy had taken it.

In the town, Isabelle saw more than one Clefairy, making it hard to determine which one had stolen from her. Other townspeople were up too though no one seemed as frantic as the young nurse was. She was stopped by a young couple.

"The Clefairy! They took something from me!" Isabelle could not keep her cool and looked around her agitatedly for either the Clefairy that stole from her or a way to escape these two people.

"We know, dear. Calm down," said the man. He seemed perfectly calm. "They do this every full moon. It's considered good luck if something of yours was taken. Come on, I'll show you. We'll watch them."

Sceptically, Isabelle followed the couple, that walked infuriatingly slowly. They made their way to Mount Moon, but they did not enter. They went up, over a well-hidden path Isabelle would have missed otherwise. The path led to a clearing on the mountainside, where the Clefairy were, bouncing and twirling around a heap of shinies. Combined with their chanting, it seemed as if the Clefairy were singing.

Against the wall of the clearing, the young couple sat down, embracing. They watched the Clefairy as if it were the most romantic thing they ever saw. Resting her back against the cold rock, Isabelle watched with crossed arms, ready to pounce the moment they took off with the shinies. But her paranoia appeared not to be necessary. The moment the sun came up, the Clefairy stopped and bounced off again, yawning. They probably would snuggle up somewhere, Isabelle read back in her studying days, but right now she was more concerned with finding her necklace.

More and more people showed up to look for their jewellery and gems. Eventually, Izzy found it. Holding the pendant in the light of dawn, she once again marvelled at how gorgeous it was. Truly unfitting for a practical girl like her, yet so pretty to look at.