#133 Eevee

Eevee, the Evolution Pokémon. This Pokémon is rarely found in the wild, for Eevee are primarily bred in captivity. This is mostly for their popularity as pets. Eevee is said to have an irregularly shaped genetic structure that allows it to adapt to many different kinds of environments. Eventually, Eevee may evolve to better suit its surroundings. Truly fascinating. – Nurse Evergreen

Nurse Isabelle sat on the edge of a fountain, having lunch while she scowled at passing by trainers and kids. There was a breeder nearby whose eggs had recently hatched and, in an hour, the doors would open and the newly hatched Pokémon would be sold for a high price.

It wasn't because the Pokémon were being sold that Isabelle was scowling; this was common practice, after all. Meowth, Growlithe, and other mild-natured Pokémon were sold as pets or playthings for kids to learn responsibility. No, it was the specific Pokémon that was being sold today that Isabelle had problems with.

As Isabelle headed over to the breeder to give the 'OK' signal for the sale, Izzy reflected on why she disliked Eevee so much. As a Pokémon, they were incredibly fascinating. Their ability to evolve to suit their surroundings was astounding. Not many forms were discovered so far, but there were speculations that Eevee could match every single typing. A poison-type Eevee still made her shudder. So why did she detest them so? It wasn't the Pokémon itself that caused this; it was some of the Eevee trainers.

Eevee, the little fox, was adorable. It has been bred this way. Only the cutest, most harmless-looking ones were accepted as satisfactory. This was all due to popular demand, not to natural selection. Eevee have been turned from evolutionary miracle to a fashion accessory. Rich people carried them in little bags over their shoulders, only there to look pretty and be shown off. Even in her year as an intern in a Pokémon centre, Izzy had seen a fair number of cases where an Eevee had been fed too much and exercised too little. They'd become fat and unable to walk.

There was even an alternative coat colour, Izzy realised as she bypassed the line and entered the building. A very unique one. Very few breeders had been able to successfully obtain one but, if they did, the price tripled if not more.

In little cages behind the counter, there were many Eevee. Softly, they mewled, scratching the cages. It made Isabelle feel sorry for them. These were Pokémon! Living beings! Not to be reduced to a fashion icon. She was sure some of the kids could take good care of it. They could be as pleasantly natured as Growlithe, for example. However, not all would end as well.

Trying to ignore her bad feeling about some of the customers, she knelt in front of every single cage, inspecting the little fox inside. Of all Pokémon, Eevee were among those whose coat colours varied most. Some had this light, sandy coat and lightly colours eyes. Some were a gorgeous red colour. Others were so brown, they were nearly black. Maybe some of them even were black. And of course, all shades between those were there as well. The colour of rust, the colour of hazelnut or chocolate. The Pokémon themselves were not the source of Isabelle's detestation at all.

With a sigh, Isabelle noticed two Pokémon that stood out. One had a grey/silvery coat. One of the rare, mutant forms. This breeder was going to be rich. Another one wasn't cute at all. It tackled its cage harshly and kept snarling at whoever got close, including Isabelle. This Eevee did not like being in a cage or sitting still and looking pretty at all.

One by one, the Pokémon were sold. The ones in shades of brown were most common and less in price, but every single one of them found a trainer to pamper them. The hostile one remained behind. A young guy showed up, which was unusual. Eevee were primarily popular with the ladies, Izzy had noticed.

"Sorry, kid. We're all sold out," the breeder told him. "Come back next year."

"What about that one?" He pointed at the cage with the snarling Eevee.

"That one? Trust me, kid, you don't want that one. I don't know why I haven't disposed of him yet." This earned him a glare from Isabelle, who instantly disliked the breeder for the suggestion of killing less-than-cute Pokémon. She might have spoken out against it, but the would-be customer was faster.

"I want it. I have the money here. Miss nurse, could you please give me that Eevee?"

With a grunt that suggested it wasn't his problem anymore, the breeder took the offered money and walked away, back to his car to drive home, now that all his wares have been sold. Isabelle handed over the cage to the teenager.

"May I ask why you took this Eevee? He won't be a good pet," Isabelle warned him lightly.

"Good. I hope he won't. I want a Pokémon to fight with, miss nurse, not a pet." The snarling stopped when the boy released Eevee from his cage. "Will you join me, Eevee? We're going to travel the world!"

Eevee looked wild with his dishevelled coat and unclipped nails, yet he certainly looked like he would make an excellent competitive battler.

"I wish you good luck," Isabelle smiled at him. "I hope we meet again and I hope I can see how you've been able to show Eevee's true power."