#074 Geodude

Geodude, the Rock Pokémon. The longer a Geodude lives, the more its edges are chipped and worn away, making it more rounded in appearance. However, this Pokémon's heart will remain hard, craggy, and rough always. When Geodude sleeps deeply, it buries itself halfway into the ground. It will not awaken even if hikers step on it unwittingly. In the morning, this Pokémon rolls downhill in search of food.

Having left the beach and summer clothing behind, Nurse Isabelle, back in her normal attire, was now headed for the mountains and, somewhere within those mountains, Pewter City. She had an appointment with the Gym Leader, Brock. Flicking through her notebook, an hour's walk away from town, she checked her notes on him: womanizer, with a few of his Pokémon currently in town. Some Zubat and some Geodude. The rest were not in the Gym at the moment, so she'd have to come back another time. She'd wanted to postpone the meeting, but Brock had emailed that he needed her to look at his Geodude, for a second opinion. So here she was, nearly at Pewter City.

Despite the eternal layer of dust and dirt in the town, the air always felt crisp and clean. The mountains surrounding it never lost their icy peaks, which created quite a picturesque look.

As she walked through town, she cast a wry look at the Pokémon centre. She could see the balcony on which she had spent a lot of time after Beedrill had died on her. She still regretted being unable to save it.

At the entrance of the Pewter Gym, Isabelle was received by a Joy, who wasn't wearing her nurse outfit. With jeans and a pink jumper, she looked rather casual. But one thing struck Isabelle as odd. Instead of her normally flat belly, this Joy's was bulged. Not quite like fat, but it was too soon to assume the other possibility.

"My husband, Brock, is inside," Joy told her as they entered the shabby-looking Gym, which was made mostly of rocks and wood.

"You married him?" Isabelle asked surprised as they made their way through the place which was littered with rocks.

"Hmhm," Joy hummed affirmatively. "I could not resist him. One who courts with a passion burning brighter than Charizard's fire is simply irresistible." She said with a slight swoon. Isabelle looked a little sceptic.

"And had he declared this love to any other women?"

Joy shook her head. "Not since we married. He only has eyes for me. Well, us." She said as she stroked her bulging stomach.

"Congratulations," Isabelle said, sincerely.

"Thank you."

Brock was to be found in the main area, where most battles were held. He sat on the floor, among the rocks, talking to another rock. Upon closer inspection, it was a Geodude who had burrowed himself into the ground, seemingly upset.

Isabelle approached and knelt down in the dust to look at the Geodude while Brock behind her kissed Joy's stomach and then her full on the mouth. Ignoring the slick sounds, she gently stroked the Geodude to attract his attention. And indeed, his eyes opened to look at the nurse. Isabelle sent it a gentle smile.

Geodude looked rather the worse for wear. It was obvious he had been in a lot of battles because he was all chipped and worn away, making him smaller than he should be.

"You're a tough one, aren't you? Look at you. All these battle scars. Surely, Brock is very proud with a Pokémon like you." Upon Izzy's piercing look, Brock nodded eagerly. "See? I bet you're the toughest Geodude in this entire Gym, maybe even of all Pewter or all of these mountains!"

With his ego puffed up, Geodude came out of the hole, showing the full extent of his injuries.

"Those little pebbles that call themselves Pewter Gym Geodude could learn a lot from you. And as the Senior Geodude, it's your task to guide them to be the best they can be!"

"Geo!"

When Geodude had hovered off to join the other Geodude training a bit further away, Isabelle turned to Brock.

"He'll need to retire soon. He's too chipped away and all that's gone won't grow back. Not for Geodude at least."

With a despairing look, he nodded. "I'll tell him soon, okay? Let him live a bit longer in this glory you've convinced him of."

Agreeing, Isabelle left Brock to join Joy for tea. They had a lot to catch up on.