#075 Graveler

Graveler, the Rock Pokémon. The evolved form of Geodude. Graveler grows by feeding on rocks. Apparently, it prefers to eat rocks that are covered in moss. This Pokémon eats its way through a ton of rocks on a daily basis. This Pokémon will climb a mountain from the base to the summit, crunchingly feasting on rocks all the while. Upon reaching the peak, it rolls back down to the bottom.

After Nurse Isabelle had finished tea with Mrs Brock, previously known as Joy, the Pewter Gym Leader himself joined the ladies. He hadn't been able to tell his senior Geodude just yet and asked if Isabelle would join them for dinner. Joy explained that Brock loved to cook for as many people as possible. After agreeing with genuine delight, Isabelle watched Brock retreat to the kitchen. The house behind the Gym looked awfully empty. From the amount of built-in beds, it was obvious this house once held many people, yet none were present at the moment. On the walls, pictures hung of kids who looked just like Brock. A female version of Brock with a basket of Pokémon eggs, a teenager Brock look-alike with a Charmander. There was even a picture of a girl holding a very young Geodude, with the note underneath saying "Suzie and Geodudette", which made Isabelle giggle.

"They've all grown up and left to explore the world," Joy spoke from somewhere behind her. "As a teenager, Brock always took care of his siblings, until his father was up for the task again. Recently, Brock's father, Flint, has retired as Pewter City Gym Leader, and so Brock was summoned back from his travels to take over. Brock inherited some Pokémon from Flint and had them checked. That's how he and I met," she said with a fond smile on her face.

Because Joy seemed truly in love with the Rock-type gym leader, Isabelle smiled kindly at her. "I'm glad that it worked out for you. I hope for Brock he isn't too lonely without his siblings? Surely, he misses them a lot."

Joy nodded and stroked her stomach. "He does, but it helps that we're starting a family of our own." She laughed. "He's such a naturally caring person. I have no doubt he'll be a great father."

Behind them, in the door opening, Brock stood, smiling at his wife, who wasn't aware he was there. Then he left again, probably to check on dinner.

After a truly marvellous meal, Isabelle packed up her bag, getting ready to leave. It was getting late and Isabelle was weary from travelling since dawn. But before she'd leave, she'd be there as support when Brock would tell his Geodude it was time to let those little pebbles, as Isabelle called the younger Geodude, to take his place.

Joy and Isabelle stood a bit away, outside of hearing distance. At first, Geodude seemed happy with the compliments, obviously hearing about how well he served the Gym. But when the moment came he was told he'd have to retire for the sake of his own health, the rock looked confused for a moment before crossing his arms stubbornly, turning half away. If he could, he would have shaken his head. Both nurses watched with pain in their hearts; it was really sad to see a Pokémon not wishing to retire, but he'd fall apart and die if he continued.

Then Geodude did something Isabelle had not expected him to. He began to glow as he evolved into a Graveler. Brock was also stunned. The bigger rock roared, still upset about the news.

"Brock!" Joy shouted. "Graveler can heal themselves by eating rocks. The problem is solved!"

With an ecstatic cry, Brock hugged his Graveler, causing Isabelle to wince. It looked painful, to hug such a ragged rock. To each their own, though.