Nighttime Yucks & Talks

Addie - 7 Years Old
Clara - 1 1/2 Years Old

Maks woke up one night to a sobbing Clara through the monitors. As soon as he sat up, Peta woke up as well. They both scrambled out of bed and headed down to their babies room. Being one and a half, Clara had mastered the sleeping in her crib and through the night right before turning one so this was not a regular occurrence.

"Hey little one." Maks said as he reached his baby. She reached up her arms to him and he scooped her up into his chest. She gripped onto his body as she shook with her sobs. Maks swayed slowly trying to settle her some.

"Oh buttercup, what happened?" Peta said rubbing Clara's back. She continued to sob into Maks's chest as she gripped onto him.

"She typically calms as soon as one of us has her if it was a nightmare." Maks said softly.

"I know. I wish she had more words to tell us what's wrong." Peta said as she stroke Clara's curls hoping that whatever they were doing would help some.

"Can you check her bottom?" Maks asked wondering if her belly was bothering her. Peta moved to check.

"She's a tiny bit wet but I doubt that's the issue. Especially not enough to put her through changing her right now."

"She feels warm but she's also upset and pressed into me right now." Maks said knowing that he couldn't go off how she felt right then.

"Let me do her temp. We'll just use the ear thermometer." Peta said as she pressed a kiss to Clara's head and then headed to the bathroom to grab what she needed.

"Papa...." A soft voice came from the doorway.

"Hey Addie Girl, did Clara wake you up?" Maks said beckoning his older daughter over to him.

"Well, I heard her but my belly hurts." She said as she latched onto his leg.

"Uh ho, like you're going to be sick hurt?" Maks asked rubbing her back.

"I don't know. Maybe." She said as she kept pressed into him

"Here's the.....did we wake you up sweet pea?" Peta said realizing their other baby was in the room now.

"Uh huh...." Addie said switching over to Peta and cuddling into her leg.

"She said her belly hurts." Maks said softly as he took the thermometer from Peta and shifted Clara so he could check her temp.

"Oh baby, come here." Peta said scooping her up and letting her cuddle into her.

"Clara's temp is okay. But maybe if that's what's going on with Addie. That's what's going on with Clara."

"Let me check hers too. I'm just gonna do your temperature in your ear." Peta said as Addie nodded into her. "She's good too."

"Do you still think you're going to maybe be sick Addie Girl?" Maks said as Clara finally stopped sobbing and just clutched onto Maks.

"Maybe." She mumbled into Peta.

"Let's go get you two some belly medicine and then you two can cuddle with me and papa." Peta suggested.

"The yucky stuff?" Addie asked. She had always hated the taste of medicine in general but extra hated the stomach version they had.

"Yeah, I'm sorry sweet pea. You can rinse it out with a little sip of ginger ale after if you want." Peta compromised, not really wanting to give Addie juice or anything of that nature.