Chapter 24

-Still Hunter's POV-

"Did yawl have a good ti- Oh my god, what happened to my daughter?!" Kelly, Shelby's mom, asked.

"I'm so sorry." Is all I managed to get out of my mouth. I was still stunned that Amber would do such a thing.

"Ok, uh, let's go get her cleaned up, and then afterwards we can talk about it. Okay?"

I nodded my head, and followed Kelly up the stairs with Shelby in my arms.

We cleaned up the bloodstain that was on her face and Kelly changed her, making sure she was in new clean clothes because some blood got on her others. Then, we tucked her in bed. I sat down next to Shelby, not wanting to leave her side.

I grabbed Shelby's hand as Kelly began to speak. "So, are you ready to tell me what happend." She asked in a hushed tone.

"I honestly dont know." I looked down at my hands in shame. "All I know is that my ex, Amber, was yelling at her, and Shelby was starting to defend herself when she got cut off by what I am assuming was Amber's fist. I rushed through the crowd that was gathered around them and found Shelby laying there knocked out. God! This is all my fault!" I put my head in my hand as a tear slid down my cheek.

"Hunter, how is this YOUR fault." Kelly asked.

"Well fist off, if I never dated Amber, this probably never would've happed...And second, because I should have left with her to go get a drink. She got thirsty and left to go get water." Kelly reached over and pulled my into a hug.

"Hunter, it's not your fault. Dont think like that!" Kelly comforted. "Well, I think that you should get some sleep. You can stay here of you want, so you can be with Shelby."

I nodded my head. "Thank you. Goodnight!" I told her as she walked out of the room.

"Goodnight. Just dont overthink things, and dont blame yourself."

I stared down at Shelby. She looked pitiful. How could I have done this to her- Hunter stop it! It's not your fault. It's Amber's.

How could Amber hit Shelby! What Shelby did probably wasn't all that bad, if she even did anything.

This just made me think about the times I spend with Shelby. I take them for granted. I never want her to leave my side. I feel like it's my job to protect her and always be there for her. She may think that I am over protective, but thats because I am. I'm going to start to be even more. I dont want anybody to lay a hand on Shelby. I dont want her to get hurt again. She's been hurt a lot in her lifetime, and they are mostly because of Amber. Amber is the reason she stopped dating, Amber's the reason Shelby and I didnt talk for like 2 months, Amber's the reason she cried the other day in school, and Amber's the reason Shelby has a bruised face.

No matter what, I am protecting Shelby.

I took a deep breath as I closed my eyes. Soon enough, sleep consumed me.

-Shelby's POV-

I woke up with a massive headache and someone sitting next to me. My right eye is shut and I'm not able to open it. Heck, the whole right side of my face hurts like a- Ok.

Wait! How did I get into my bed? The last thing I remember is going to get a water at the party.

I turn my face to see Hunter sitting next to me with his eyes shut. He looks so cute when he is sleeping. His hand was attatched to mine, and I smiled at the thought of him holding my hand.

"Hunter, wake up!" I whispered, poking his stomache with my free hand.

He slowly opened his eyes, but when he saw me, his eyes opened quickly and he smiled.