Chapter 3

The following morning Mia woke up bright and early to get breakfast started and double check to make sure she had packed everything she needed. The time seemed to be moving so slow today. She finished up with the breakfast. Her uncle would be home any minute now. She picked up the phone to call Bruno but then remembered they had agreed not to call each other today as a build up to seeing each other. She smiled as she thought about being wrapped in his arms again. Being away from him was proving to be a lot harder than she had anticipated.

She heard footsteps in the hall and they came to a halt in front of her door. She thought it was her uncle Eli until she heard a knock on her door. No one usually came to knock on her door anymore, especially not this early. The only one that ever had was Bruno. As she walked towards the door to open it she wondered who it was and panic began to set in. With the type of luck she typically had she instantly stared thinking the worst since her uncle wasn't home yet and he usually was at this time. Her steps towards the door became more urgent as she thought that maybe something happened to Eli. A knock sounded again just before she reached the door and hurriedly pulled it open.

"Good morning!" The person that had been on the other side of the door said to her.

"Is everything okay?" Mia asked immediately.

"I just have a message for you. Can I come in?"

Mia felt her heart sink. She wasn't sure what was going on. The worry must have been written all over her face because she was quickly wrapped into a hug.

"Mia, sweetie, are you okay?" Bernie asked.

"I'm, I'm not sure" Mia said. "Is everything okay with Bruno?"

Seeing Bernie at the door, her worry immediately left from Eli, and went to Bruno. I mean sure, Bernie occasionally dropped in to check on her but never this early. She felt like her heart was beating a million miles a minute. It seemed like an eternity before Bernie answered her.

"Bruno is fine sweetie!" Bernie said.

Mia was relieve to hear that. But then her worry went back to Eli. "Is my uncle okay?" She asked Bernie. Had she been in her right mind she would have considered that had something happened to her uncle, they would be calling her house and not Bernie's. But she wasn't in her right mind, she was on edge. Maybe because she was so anxious to see Bruno. Or maybe it was because she had never left her uncle alone. It didn't help that he was late coming home because that was something that almost never happened.