Chapter 25

Bruno found some stairs nearby and led Mia to sit down and gave her one of the bottled waters he had purchased. The man who could quite possibly be Mia's father followed them looking concerned. "I'm sorry, did I say something wrong?" he asked Mia.

"Just give her a minute" Bruno said to him caressing Mia's back as she took a sip of water and tried to gather herself. She fought the tears that threatened to escape. Could this man be her father?

"I'm sorry.... it's just that....." Mia struggled to find her words and took a deep breath. "It's just.... well, I don't know much about her but as far as my uncle Eli told me she was only ever in love with one man and that man was my father."

The man furrowed his eyebrows at her. "Elijah told you that? That's not true. She and I, we dated when she came here for college, we fell in love...." he became silent and that sadness showed in his eyes again. "Then she..." he sighed. "Something happened.... she thought I cheated on her and she disappeared.... I tried to find her but I never could." His eyes became glossy and he paused for a second. "I never got to explain."

Mia could feel the tears coming. It had to be him. There was no other explanation. "I'm Mia, Mia Gutierrez."

At the mention of her name his eyes went a little wide. "Gabriel. Gabriel Velazquez" he extended his hand to her as he blinked away the gloss in his eyes.

She reached up for his hand and shook it. She felt a little tug in her heart when he touched her. "This is Bruno, well, Peter Hernandez, but everyone calls him Bruno. He's my fiancé."

Bruno extended his hand to him. "Nice to meet you sir."

Gabriel shook his hand with a grin. "Pleasure to meet you."

Mia looked up at Bruno before she spoke again. "Before, when I said my mother was only ever in love with one man and that man was my father, I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say. You see, I've never met my father.... I don't even know his name..... and if what you're saying is true.... then there's a big possibility that you might be my father."

Gabriel raised his eyebrows at her with shock written all over his face. "I'm sorry, what?"

Mia shook her head. "I'm sorry. That's kind of a big bomb to drop on someone but..... everything you're saying.... it just, it adds up."

Gabriel ran his hand down his face but didn't say anything. What does one say to something like that. How could it be possible that he had a daughter with Elena all these years and not know it? He suddenly felt sick and needed to sit down. He claimed the spot on the steps next to Mia. The three of them sat in silence for a minute. "Could we.... maybe go some place quite to talk?" Gabriel asked breaking the silence.

Mia looked at her watch. It was almost half past noon. She looked up at Bruno who was also looking at his watch. "Can we?"

Bruno nodded his head. "Of course. We'll be okay." Even if they didn't have time, Bruno wouldn't say no. How could he when this man could possibly be her father?

"Is there somewhere you need to be?" Gabriel asked.

"I have a plane to catch at four" Mia said.

"Oh. I see. Where are you headed?" He asked.

"I'm headed home.... back to Hawaii" Mia said.

"You don't live in Los Angeles?" He asked.

"No. I just came to visit Bruno. It's kind of a long story but for now, my home is still in Hawaii." Mia told him.

Gabriel nodded. "I'll tell you what? If I make you miss your flight I'll make sure you still make it to Hawaii by tomorrow." He didn't know if this girl was his daughter but if there was a chance that she was, he wasn't about to let her slip away like he let her mom slip away. He had the means to get her to and from Hawaii anyway so why not?

Mia and Bruno both furrowed their eyebrows. "How would you do that?" Mia asked.

"I assure you I have the means. Just.... please?" Gabriel pleaded with her.

"Okay." Mia said. How could she not? This man could the father she longed for as a lonely child.