Chapter 73

Bruno sat in the studio working on the same song he had been working on when Mia caught him in his music room. After he dropped Mia off at the airport he didn't bother going back home. He just texted Ryan that he would be at the studio. About and hour after he texted Ryan, Phil showed up at the studio too. "Hey man! You good?"

Bruno looked up at Phil. "I'm as good as I can be man. You didn't have to come in so early. I'm fine."

Phil nodded his head. "Well Ryan and I kind of promised Mia we'd keep an eye on you. Plus, we just want you to be good too man. You know we're  family."

Bruno turned his body around to face Phil. "I appreciate that." He sighed. "Damn Phil, I never knew I could be so happy and so sad at the same time. It's the strangest thing." He dropped his head in his hands and rubbed his face then looked up at Phil again. "I lost her forever Phil. When we went to sleep last night she let me hold her and I was so happy. I knew it was only for the night but I had hope that I could win her back. Especially after she told me she was pregnant. I just knew I could get her back and we would be a happy little family." He paused because he was getting emotional.

"Okay. So what changed? Because it looked to me like she still loves you."

Bruno gave him a sad smile. "Yeah. I think she's always going to love me Phil. We had something really special....but I messed it all up." He shook his head.

"But what makes you think there's no hope now B?"

Bruno closed his eyes momentarily to keep the tears from coming. "She's moved on Phil. I heard her on the phone with Jonah last night. She thought I was still sleeping but I woke up the second she moved away from my arms. She told him that they should do dinner and dancing when she got back to New York. That he owed her some dancing." He shook his head. "That was our thing." He smiled sadly. "She loves to dance Phil. She didn't when I met her but after the first time I got her on that dance floor at our school dance I could never keep her from it. We had so much fun Phil. God did we have fun." He laughed remembering those good times.

"It's just dinner and dancing B. It's not the end of the world." Phil told him.

"That's what I tried to tell myself. Until I heard her utter the words 'I love you too' into the phone. That shit fuckin hurt Phil. Hearing her say that to another man. It killed me. I wanted to be mad but honestly, I have no right to be mad. I'm the one that messed this up. I took her to a dark place, a place that she hadn't been  to in a long time. You don't know how fragile she is when she's in that mind space but I do. I basically pushed her into his arms. I can't even be mad at him Phil. I did this to myself. I knew he liked her Phil. He respected what we had because he saw it was genuine. But once I fucked up, all that shit was out the window. I don't blame him, Mia is something special and he was there to pick up the pieces when I broke her." He tuned back around to face the piano.

"Are you sure it was him? Maybe there's an explanation for that. I don't see her saying those words to someone else so soon." Phil said.

"She said his name Phil. While she was talking to him she said his name. It was him. It's never too soon Phil. This might sound stupid but I knew I loved Mia the moment I laid eyes on her. I feel deeper in love the more time I spent with her. She and Jonah, they spend a lot of time together man. I'm not surprised. She deserves someone that's going to treat her right Phil and while it kills me, I think he can be that man." He started playing the tune on the piano again. "I started working on this a few weeks ago but it was missing a lot. After hearing Mia on that phone call last night I felt awful but I got the inspiration I needed to finish the song. I've been at it here for a couple hours now. Tell me what you think of what I have."