Chapter 69

Mia stood in the mirror of her hotel bathroom trying her best to conceal the fact that she had been up all night crying her eyes out. "This is as good as it's going to get!" she said looking at her reflection. She spent so much time in the mirror she didn't have time to stop for coffee and lord knew she needed it. She was so grateful when she arrived at the court house and Jonah handed her a cup of coffee. "You're a life saver!!" she told him taking the cup from his hand.

"I figured you might need it. How are you holding up?"

Mia gave him the best smile she could muster up. "I've been better but I'll live. Right now I'm just worried about this case. So let's get to it."

Jonah nodded. "Ladies first." he said as he held the door open for her.

After hours of being in the court room Mia and Jonah walked out with another successful day. "That was fun!" Mia told him.

Jonah laughed. "I guess you can say that."

Mia laughed too. "I mean, it kept my mind off of other things, so it was good." 

Jonah nodded. "Got it. So where are you headed now?" He wanted to ask her where she was staying but he didn't want to intrude.

"The office. I have a couple things I want to do and I'm supposed to have dinner with my Dad so I'm just going to head over there."

He nodded again. "And after that?"

Mia shrugged her shoulders. "Back to my hotel room for now. Until I get things figured out." She started fidgeting with her keys.

"Mia, I understand if you don't want to tell anyone what happened, but I don't really like the idea of you staying alone at a hotel. In fact, I'm pretty sure Gabriel would be mad at me if I allowed that. Why don't you come and stay at my place until you decide what it is that you're going to do? I have the space. There's no reason for you to be in a hotel alone."

Mia sighed. "J, I don't want to intrude."

Jonah shook his head. "Nonsense Mia, you wouldn't be intruding. You do realize Gabriel would kill me if he knew I allowed you to stay at a hotel alone?"

Mia laughed. "Probably. He's so overprotective of me."

Jonah shrugged his shoulders. "Your his lifeline Mia. It's his job to be proactive of you. So I'm not taking no for an answer. Besides, would you rather be alone and think about everything or have some company to keep you distracted?"

Mia thought about how she'd spent her night. Crying her eyes out wasn't exactly ideal. She didn't want to spend days crying over Bruno. "Okay. After my dinner with my dad I'll go pick my things up and head to your place."

Jonah smiled. "Okay. I'll see you later." She waved at him and he turned to walk away.

When she made it to the office her Dad was waiting inside her office with Bruno and her heart dropped. "Hi!" She said and went and hugged her Dad and kissed him on the cheek. Then she turned to Bruno. "What are you doing here Bruno?" She tried to sound as normal as possible.

"I was on my way up here to see if you were in yet and I ran into him and invited him to dinner with us." Gabriel said before Bruno got a chance to answer.

"Oh. Okay." Mia said looking at Bruno. He was playing it cool but she could see in his eyes that he was hurting. She sighed. "Dad, can I talk to Bruno alone for a second?"

Gabriel looked between the two of them and nodded. "Yeah. Of course. I'll be in my office when you're ready to go."

Mia smiled and nodded. When Gabriel left the room Mia turned to Bruno. "Why are you here?"