Chapter 39

ONE MONTH LATER:

Mia and Elijah sat in the living room of the new apartment in Los Angeles taking a break from all the unpacking they had done. Mia didn't want to have to pick who she would live with so instead she decided she would have a room at her dad's house and a room at her uncle Elijah's house. She would have to divide her time between the two until her uncle Eli and her Aunt Mya decided to take things to the next level and move in together. Then she would just stay with her dad so they could have their space. The move to Los Angeles had happened a lot faster than she expected. Since Gabriel had connections and Elijah's work ethic was so great he was able to get a job in LA quick and there was no need to postpone the move any longer. She was definitely going to miss Hawaii but she was so happy that she would be close to all her family and Bruno now.

--------------------------------

The Day Of Mia's Birthday:

Mia woke up and checked her phone expecting to see messages from people wishing her a Happy Birthday but she had zero messages waiting for her. She went in the kitchen to start breakfast for her and her uncle Eli. When she walked in the kitchen there was a note on the fridge.

Mia,
Went out to get breakfast with Mya and then we're going to catch a movie.

He didn't sign his name because since they were the only two that lived in the house it was obvious it was from him. She flipped the note around to see if there was anything on the back. Nothing. "That's it?" she said out loud. She was a little bummed that he hadn't mentioned her birthday and wondered if he forgot. She picked up her phone to send her daily good morning texts out to Bruno and her dad since they hadn't messaged her like she expected they would. Now that Eli wasn't home she didn't feel she needed to make breakfast anymore. She opted for a bowl of cereal instead. Her phone started ringing and she ran to answer it thinking it was her dad or Bruno. It was Bernie.

"Happy birthday sweetie!" Bernie said as soon as Mia answered.

"Thank you! It's nice to know someone still loves me around here!" she said into the phone with a giggle.

"Has Bruno forgotten to say Happy Birthday? I will set him straight!" She said laughing.

Mia laughed with her. "It seems like everyone did. But it's still early and I'm just being a brat."

Bernie laughed into the phone again. "It's your birthday. You can be a brat if you want to." She heard voices in the background and then Bernie told her someone wanted to talk to her. Soon the girls were on the other end of the phone wishing her a Happy Birthday. She spent a good hour talking to Tiara, Tahiti, Presley, and Bernie before she hung up.

She checked her phone to see if any messages had come in. She had one from Gabriel that said "Good Morning Princess." That was it. She frowned a little bit. She expected he would remember the first birthday he would get to celebrate with her. She moved on to a message from Bruno. "Good morning and happy birthday baby girl! I love you so much!" She smiled when she read that. Bruno never let her down. She typed in a thank you and told him she loved him too and hit send. Then the doorbell sounded. When she opened it Bruno was standing there with a bouquet of red roses.

"You didn't think I would just text you Happy Birthday Did you?" he asked her with a big smile on his face.

Mia smiled and hugged him. "Thank you baby, they're beautiful!"

Bruno stepped inside and handed her the roses and she walked into the kitchen to put them in a vase with water.

"So..... after you're done there you need to take a shower and get dressed because we have somewhere to be." Bruno said looking at her with a smile on his face.

She smiled back up at him. "What are you up to Mars?" She giggled.

"Mars? Haven't heard that in a while" he said and laughed. "I can't tell you where we're going. It's a surprise, duh!"

Rolling her eyes Mia smiled at him. "You and surprises." She shrugged her shoulders. "It just slipped out, the Mars thing. I still like it though" she smiled.

"Alright Whitney Houston. Go get your sexy ass in the shower because we have somewhere to be and you're gonna make us late!" he tried to sound serious but failed.

"Bruno it's 10AM. What are we late for?" she argued.

"Baby would you just go? I know it's your birthday but I'll still kick your ass!" He said and chuckled. Then he stepped close to her and kissed her.

"Fine! What do I wear?" she asked in defeat. She knew there was no point in trying to trick him into telling her where they were headed because he wasn't going to budge.

"Look at me baby. I got on jeans, a white t-shirt and a flannel. It's obviously nothing fancy. But since you asked, a cute dress will do the trick." He flashed her his signature grin.

She smiled back at him and rolled her eyes. "Fine! Give me like forty five minutes and I'll be ready. She gave him another kiss and made her way to her room to get her clothes and get in the shower. Bruno wanted to follow her and join her for her shower but he knew that would be a bad idea. If he did that they would definitely be late for where he was taking her so instead he took a seat on the couch and waited patiently.

She returned wearing an olive green tank dress that fell just past her knees, a white jean jacket and some white chucks. Her hair was down and her face was free of make-up other than some eyeliner and some lip gloss. "You look beautiful. Ready to go birthday girl?" Mia smiled and nodded. Bruno took her hand and led her out the door and helped her in the car. When he got in the car himself he handed her a blindfold.

"Really Bruno?" she gave him a pouty face.

"Don't pout, just put it on baby. I promise we will reach or destination in no time." He leaned over and kissed her then she did as she was told.