The Failed Jester and The Sucessful Prince (Merome)

People involved: Jerome, Mitch, Vik, Lachlan
Ships: Merome, Vikklan
Word count: 1638
Idea: Jerome is a successful prince in the Bacca Forest. He is soon to inherit the throne, and enjoys what little freedom he has still. He does so by going to neighboring kingdom the Salty Lagoon and hanging out with his friends- Vik and Lachlan. One day, while in Salty Lagoon, he comes across Mitch. Where will it go from there? Set in the same world at the same time as a previous one shot "Flower World (Poofless)".
Extra notes: Merome spin-off of Flower World requested by bchgamer . Until next time, Peace my Cheeses! I love you all <3

Welcome back, my lovely readers. I was told that perhaps you wanted another love tale from the beautiful world I have told you of. If this is true, I have a perfect idea of what story to tell. Are you ready to listen?
I don't know if you'd remember this, but on the opposite side of Flower world from Slime hills was a kingdom called Bacca Forest. Within Bacca Forest lived a young boy, Jerome. Well, he was much less a boy and much more a prince- at least to his parents. He was heir to the throne of Bacca Forest, to take the position in one year's time. Bordering Bacca Forest was Salty Lagoon, where two friends of Jerome's lived. Despite his royal status, he always managed to sneak out of the Forest and meet his friends in the neighboring kingdom. It was on one of these trips, however, that he met Mitch.
Mitch was a member of the entertainment kingdom. They never really had a proper name, not caring enough for such formal affairs. The citizens of the land were raised only to entertain. From a young age, they could juggle or swallow swords or tell jokes. Mitch, however, was still developing his abilities at the age of 20. He had become the runt of his travel group; he was pushed around and left with all the busy work. He'd wash laundry, run any errands, and he often made their food too. It was while collecting food for one night's dinner that he met Jerome.
Mitch was walking through the crowded market square, his eyes flickering over to the gleaming lagoon beside him. It was due to this slight inattention that Mitch found himself pushed into the glittering water he couldn't keep his eyes off of. His body shattered the glassy façade and he heard familiar laughter before he went under. The water around him muffled all sound, and he could feel the salty liquid filling his lungs. He kicked and thrashed upward but his body was just too much weight to pull. It seemed to grow heavier by the minute as his eyes shut out the stinging water. This was it, he had decided. His idiot of a brother finally got his way: Mitch was dead. Just as his mouth began to gasp for more oxygen, Mitch swore he could feel the water ripple once more. And before he could lose all feeling, he felt two paws grab under his arms.
Mitch couldn't remember being pulled out of the water, or the agonizingly slow minutes after spent trying desperately to revive him. He did remember awaking on his side, every single inch of him burning. His lungs and eyes burnt the most, it felt like someone was scrubbing the areas with salt grains. Once he worked up the strength to open his eyes, he found two boys and a bacca watching him worriedly. He could barely see their lips moving through his tearing eyes, but he surely couldn't hear them. He began to cough again, his lungs and throat screaming at him. Through this pain, however, Mitch could feel his ears straining and popping, the horrid noises leaving a dull throbbing in both ears.
"Sh. You're okay, you're going to be okay. Just get it out." The bacca spoke to him, sounding distant. But even with the obvious hearing issues he was having, the voice brought great comfort to Mitch. Mitch relaxed, his coughing stopping and his breaths were ragged and gasping. "You're okay. It'll be okay. Can you hear me?" Mitch nodded his head to respond to the voice. Mitch tried to sit up with the stability of his arms but the extremities simply shook and gave out. One of the humans, a tall fellow with blond hair, caught him from the side he wasn't facing, hoisting his figure up to a sitting position.
"Go get him a drink Vikky. It should help with his throat." Mitch tried to sit forward and only ended up collapsing back onto the blond. "Hey buddy, relax. Here," Lachlan shifted a little, "sit down on my lap and lean against me. You'll be okay. We've got you."
Mitch couldn't have been more thankful. He felt like a complete mess, and he was sure he looked it too.
"Th-" Mitch attempted to thank you two individuals helping him, but his voice have out before he could even start. The bacca, who was now sitting and facing Mitch, shushed him and lay a paw upon Mitch's knee.
"No need to thank us. I'm Jerome. The blond behind you is Lachlan, and the third person is our friend Vik. And we're more than happy to help."
After that day, Jerome and Mitch met as often as possible. Jerome snuck out almost all the time those two weeks Mitch's group was in the Salty Lagoon. The two would sneak around the Salty Lagoon, hiding from the public eye and all who would know them. Only Vik and Lachlan knew of their little adventures, and they were willing to help them along with it. At first, they were pushing the two together because the bond they shared would make them great friends. However, as the two weeks sped past, their bond became more than just platonic. Small pecks on the lip were the most shared; hugs and holding hands happened often, but their was an awkward air about it (my alliteration skills without even meaning to tho). Vik was absolutely infatuated with the relationship the two had, constantly questioning Mitch about his day's events with Jerome. Lachlan stopped Vik when he caught him, but on rare occasions Lachlan couldn't be glued to Vik's hip. And it was those days that Mitch enjoyed best.
He loved talking to Vik about Jerome. He loved to tell him everything they had done that day, the memories filling his mind as he would speak. And Vik loved to hear about it. He'd gone through such a phase himself- why do you think him and Lachlan were so close- and he loved to hear about others' experiences with it. The time of falling in love, the longs weeks of adoration and exasperation. He was always so animate about Mitch's stories too, because he could tell by Mitch's recollections that Jerome was falling in love as well.
However, all good has to come to an end. One day while out, Mitch's group had found him. They told him they were to be leaving in four hours, and they were taking him in to the leader of their little country. Here, he would probably be sentenced to death for leaving his duty. At the same time, Jerome was being threatened as well. His parents said he needed to find someone to marry before that night's ball, or else he would have it chosen for him. And he knew exactly which suitor they would choose, and he hated the idea of that proper whore being his wife.
The two both races to their meeting spot, glad when they saw the other was approaching too. They both began to speak at once, gathering Vik and Lachlan's attention as they were nearby. The pair wandered over to see the other two panting and panicked.
"Jerome! Oh Jerome, they're going to take me home to kill me! I don't wanna die Biggums." Mitch finally sobbed, collapsing into Jerome's arms.
"Sh Biggums. I won't let you die. Stay with me. Stay here in this kingdom, and just hide. There's plenty of area to hide. Please, just stay here." Jerome wrapped Mitch tight in his arms, holding the boy as tears began to fall.
"I couldn't. They'd find me, and they would attack whomever hid me. I couldn't." Mitch shook his head, his words coming out through gasps for breath.
"Marry me then." Mitch froze as Jerome pulled back from him.
"What?"
"Marry me then. If you marry me they can't take you back. You'd come live with me in my castle. They couldn't take you away, you'd become royalty in my kingdom. Please Mitch." Jerome gripped the shaken boy's shoulders a little too tight.
"We're too young. It's too soon. It'll never work." Mitch stuttered and stumbled through his shock.
"Mitch! Just say yes so you two can kiss already! I've been waiting way too long for this." Vik's voice drew Mitch's eyes from their distant gaze. Lachlan quickly wrapped his arms around Vik's waist, pulling the shorter back into his chest.
"Shush babe. Relax." Vik relaxed against Lachlan, but you could still see the excitement in his eyes.
"Please, Mitch. If not because you love me, do it to save me. If I don't have a fiancé by tonight, they're gonna marry me to the biggest whore that exists. Please Biggums." Mitch sat frozen, eyes glancing around the gathered group before they stayed locked on Jerome's.
"Yes, Jerome. Yes. I'll marry you." Vik squealed at the words, Jerome smiling widely and scooping up Mitch to spin him.
"Thank you. I love you." Jerome continuously muttered these two sentences as he spun Mitch around. He still continued the whispered words as he set Mitch down and kissed him. Vik was trying to hold back his cries of happiness in the background, as to not disturb their kiss.
"I love you too Jerome." Mitch whispered back after they broke their kiss. "Alright Vik, now you can fangirl."
"You too are so cute and AAH! Did you see that Lachy?! It's so fucking cute and adorable and-" Vik's frantic speech was cut off by a kiss. Lachlan chuckled again his lips as he finished the shorter's sentence.
"And it reminds you of us. I know. I was there too Vikky." Vik's eyes were alight with happiness as he turned back to the new couple.
"Congrats you two."