A Break in Their Routine (No ships)

People involved: Simon, Harry, hinted Ethan (although I think I messed that part up so...)
Ships: none
Word count: 1729 (without background info)
Idea: Simon is a young boy in a terrible situation. His little brother Harry also becomes involved, and their world turns upside down. They were forced into a break in their routine.
Extra notes: This is a story I handed in today as a sample of my writing for my class next year. What do you cheeses think? My mom read it and thought it was great. She compared it to Stephen King, then told me I definitely to go somewhere with my writing. Hope you enjoy! Oh yeah, there's also a little bonus of background info at the end that I did not turn in with this. Just wanted to give you cheeses that little extra bit, ya know? Until next time, Peace my Cheeses! I love you all <3

The town was destroyed. Human bodies littered the ground, large chunks of flesh removed from their places. A putrid smell hung heavy in the air, making the task of breathing much too difficult. Glass windows had been smashed in; what were once quaint little shops now lay in ruin. Hunger drove what few corpses still walked, the plague forcing their deceased bodies onward. For as long as their brains remained, a sickness kept the rotting bodies moving.

Zombies.

Most said it was impossible. Zombies would require resurrection, something that could never exist. But no one ever considered this. The gruesome truth that would now leave the entire world on its toes. The mere occurrence that had brought the bustling town into manic.

Zombies.

A loud whine sounded nearby, alerting the boy that a monster was close. He perked his head up at the sound, keeping any movements silent. They still had brains. Their sensations were not dulled by the disease- they were heightened, if anything. Then again, when such a loud area became so quiet, everyone's senses became heightened. He wiped the knife gently against the cloth he held, cleaning it one last time. He couldn't stand to see the blood of his neighbors upon that blade, but what more could he do? Water was rare, and necessary if he ever wanted to get through this. He couldn't clean the blade any other way, so the torn piece of his shirt would have to do. The boy slowly began his advance from the darkness, using the cement wall beside him to steady himself. As he reentered the light, he couldn't help but notice the horrid state of his clothes. His grey sweatshirt was now stained black, a multitude of slashed in the fabric. The boy simply shook his head, quickly running his fingers through his hair. The filth upon his head helped to keep his hair back from his his face. It allowed him to avoid at least one annoyance.

Soon he reached the corner of the wall, where the small alley opened up to Main Street. He slowly allowed his head to round the corner and stare upon the darkened pavement. His blue eyes quickly darted around before he ducked back around the corner. The boy tried his best to calm his breathing, knowing very well the dangers that would come with loud breathing. There were at least thirty of the diseased walking the street in his vicinity, the closest being less than ten feet away. He couldn't get out of this alley without notifying at least one of them, but he also knew he was doomed if he remained here. Taking a deep breath to calm his nerves, the boy checked the street one more time. As his head peered down the street, a crash came from the direction he was looking. The bodies all turned towards the noise. With slackened jaws and oozing wounds, the creatures all began to move to the sound, hoping to find its source. The boy was quickly able to identify the recently deceased within the group, as their bodies still moved quite fluently.

With the only danger he could currently see distracted, the boy darted from the alleyway and began down the street away from the horde. His eyes were quick to absorb everything about the setting around him, noticing a convenient store that seemed untouched. His legs ached as he pushed himself desperately towards the building. It was adorned with few windows, meaning it may be safe for a couple days. Plus it lacked the common signs of looting almost every building wore, meaning it should still have food. Keeping this thought in his head, the boy was hasty in his approach to the building. His shaky hands clamped around the doorknob for the store. He threw open the door haphazardly, thinking not of what dangers could lay inside a closed building.