Chapter 67

Date : October 19, 2015
Age : 18
POV : Brennan

I walked out of my dorm room building and got into my car. I flipped through my phone and came across one of Annie's pictures on Instagram. It was of her at homecoming and she was in a beautiful dress. She was in the picture with Hayden, Sydney, Ethan, and Maddie as well.

I commented, "You look beautiful Ans. I can't wait to see you again Xx."

And right as I pressed, "Send", my phone popped up a screen and said, "Call from Annie Leblanc". I swiped across the screen and put my phone up to my ear.

"Hey Ans." I smiled.

"Hey Brennan." she said as I turned my car on and started to drive out of the parking lot.

"You looked absolutely amazing at your homecoming last night." I told her.

"Why thank you." she said as I almost felt her smile through the phone.

"Did you go with anyone?" I asked.

"Nope."

"Why not?" I asked.

"Well, it would've been awkward." she told me.

"Why?" I asked again.

"Because you and I are dating." she admitted. "I wouldn't want to go with anyone but you." she said.

I looked out on the road and slightly smiled to myself. "I'll be there for the next homecoming." I assured her.

"Really?!" she sounded excited.

"Of course." I told her.

"Oh my gosh yay."

I laughed at her and said, "You sound like seven-year-old Annie."

"Well, I was amazing back then, so I take that as a compliment." she said.

"Wow way to be humble." I smiled.

"I know right. I'm so humble." she said in a sarcastic tone.

I chuckled at her and then said, "How is Hayden?"

"He's okay. His scars are healing, but he seems absolutely miserable. Last night at homecoming, all he could do was just stand there. He can't do anything that he wants to do." she told me.

I put my hand through my hair and said, "That's awful."

"Yeah. He feels like hell." she told me.

"I would too." I said.

"Yeah I know." she paused. "Anyways, are you going back to Maryland for Thanksgiving break?"

"Uh, that's what I was waiting to tell you." I paused. "I don't think that I will be able to make it."

There was a moment of silence, so I spoke up again.

"I just have soccer practice every day that week and it would be impossible for me to go to soccer practice in South Carolina and be with friends and family in Maryland at the same time." I explained.

"So," Annie paused. "So you aren't coming home?"

"I'm afraid not." I told her.

"Okay, uh." she paused again. "I g- I got to go. I miss you." she said.

"I miss you too." I said. "I'm so so sorry it has to be like this."

"Goodbye Brennan." she said as she hung up.

I put my phone down and found the nearest parking lot. Once my car was in park, I turned off the engine and put my head in my hands.

I stayed like this for awhile, until I heard a constant dinging coming from my phone. I lifted my head up and looked at my phone.

It said "Call from - Hayden Summerall"

I picked my phone up and swiped right. I put my phone up to my ear and said, "Hey."

"Hey Brennan." I heard and unusual voice say.

"Hayden? Is this you?" I asked.

"Uh no. It's Syd." she said.

"Oh hey Syd."

"Hey." she paused. "So, I heard that you weren't coming home next month for the break." she sighed.

"Did Annie tell you?" I asked.

"Yeah." Sydney said. "Both Hayden and Annie are in here, so if you want to talk to one of them, just tell me."

"Um," I looked down, "Can I talk to Annie?"

"Sure." she said.

I then heard a small, "Ans, Brennan wants to talk to you again." and a small, "Okay"

I sat in silence until I heard Annie's voice.

"Hey Bren." she said.

"Annie, listen. I'm so so sorry. I just can't make it home next month." I explained.

I heard a small, "I'm going to go for a walk, be right back" and then Annie said, "I know, I know." to me. Annie began to talk again after I heard a door shut.

"It's just, I was looking forward to having everyone together again, but now I don't know when we will all be back in Maryland again." she told me.

"I know, and I'm sorry that I didn't tell you earlier. I just couldn't. I didn't want to see you sad. So I just didn't." I said.

"I know you mean well, it's just hard." she said.

"I know. I wish I could come home, but I would lose my scholarship, and my mom can't afford to have me lose it." I explained.

"It's okay." she said.

"Are you sure?" I asked.

"Yes. I mean, I'm still bummed about you not being able to come home, but, it's okay." she said.

I smiled and said, "I love you Annie."

"I love you too." she said back.

"I'll see you before you know it, okay?"

"Okay." she said.

"I miss you. Bye Ans."

"Bye Brennan." she said as she hung up.

a/n - sorry I didn't know how to end this FREAKING SHORT chapter. sorry y'all