Chapter 84

Date : February 13, 2016
Age : 19
POV : Brennan

Beep Beep Beep

I moaned and rolled over to my right side. I turned off my Saturday morning alarm and grabbed my phone.

Saturday morning alarm? Well, yeah, like other people, I oversleep a lot. So if I don't set an alarm, I'll end up sleeping until 3:00 pm.

I pressed the home button with my thumb and my thumbprint unlocked my phone. I had 3 missed calls and 2 text messages.

I opened up my phone app and all three calls were from Annie.

I immediately scrunched my eyebrows and shot my my body up from my bed. I scooted sideways so that my feet were hanging off of my bed.

I immediately pressed Annie's name and put the phone up to my ear.

Ring Ring Ring

I looked up to Charlie's bed and he wasn't there, meaning that he was awake and I didn't have to go somewhere else to talk to Annie.

I redirected my attention to my phone and one more ring was heard before I heard a, "H-hello?"

"Annie," I said.

"Brennan," I heard a sniffle.

"It's 5:00 am for you. You need sleep," I told her.

"I c-can't sleep," she sniffles again.

"Is everything alright?" I asked in a worried tone.

"N-no," she cried.

"What's going on Annie? I talked to you last night and you were all happy. And then while I was asleep, you were upset." I asked her.

"It's my mom." she spat out.

"Katie? What's going on with her?" I asked.

"You kn-know how she's b-b-been having problems with br-breathing recently?" she asked me, trying to get words out into between cries.

"Yeah," I said running my fingers through my brown hair.

I immediately put my head in my hands when I heard Annie say, "Well, l-last night, my d-dad c-c-called. He told me th-that m-mom has stage four lung c-cancer."

"No." I whispered to myself.

I could hear Annie's cries through the phone, which my made my heart drop and shatter into pieces.

"Brennan," she wailed.

"Annie, it's going to be okay," I whispered to her.

"You told me the same with C-Caleb. How do you kn-know that won't happen ag-gain?" she lowered her voice.

"You have to trust me. I don't know what's going to happen but it'll be okay. I promise," I told her, trying to calm her down.

"Promise is a big word, Brennan," she said as she caught her breath. Her crying has dwindled down into small sniffles, so it was easier for me to understand her.

"I know it is. But I mean what I'm saying to you," I tried to explain.

I heard Annie take a deep breath and it was quiet for a few seconds.

"This whole situation would just be a lot easier if you were here with me," she finally said.

"I know. I know."

"But you are literally thousands of miles away. I need you here with me. I'm nothing without you."

"No you are not," I argued.