Chapter 69

Date : November 21, 2015
Age : 18
POV : Annie

It was a Wednesday, the day before Thanksgiving, and everyone from all four families are at the lake. It would be our last sunny week here in Maryland, so we want to spend it the right way.

Katie and I were doing flips off of our boat and our mom was taking pictures. Meanwhile, Hayden and his brothers were singing a couple of songs to keep our lively spirit alive. (a/n - they are singers in real life, in case you didn't know)

When I pulled myself up out of the water, Hayden asked me if I wanted to sing a song.

I said, "Of course," and Hunter handed me his guitar.

Hayden got out his phone and started to record.

"Dude. Really." I laughed as I put the guitar strap around my shoulder.

I then looked around at everyone and started to play a few chords as I spoke. "Uh, this song is dedicated to someone who isn't here with us. Not the soccer player, but the baseball player. He is knee-deep and genius. And I bet that he is kicking some butt up there." I chuckled. "This song is called 'Little Do You Know' by Alex and Sierra." I smiled.

I started to play the familiar chords for a bit, but then I began to sing.

"Little do you know how I'm breaking while you fall asleep. Little do you know, I'm still haunted by the memory. Little do you know, Im trying to pick myself up piece by piece. Little do you know, I need a little more time." I sang.

I took a breath and continued, "Underneath it all, I'm held captive by the whole inside. I've been holding back for the fear that you might change your mind. I'm ready to forgive you but forgetting is a harder fight. Little do you know, I need a little more time."

I stopped singing and then said, "Uh, this is where Brennan would always come in and sing, so."

I looked at Hayden, who was holding the camera, and he handed the phone over to Hunter. Hunter kept recording and Hayden grabbed the other guitar.

"I know the rest of the song too, if you want to finish it." he said as he sat down and started playing right where I stopped.

"Alright." I smiled as I strummed the guitar.

"Away, away. I love you like you've never felt the pain, away. I promise you don't have to be afraid, away. The love you see is here to stay so lay your head on me." he sang.

He took a breath and then continued, "Little do you know, I know you're hurting while I'm sound asleep. Little do you know, all my mistakes are slowly drowning me. Little do you know, I'm trying to make it better piece by piece. Little do you know, I, I love you till the sun dies." he stopped and started to strum the guitar.

We both switched over to the last verse, the verse where we had to sing together.

"Away, just wait. I love you like I've never felt the pain, just wait. I love you like you've never been afraid, just wait. Our love we see right here is to stay, so lay your head on me." I smiled.

"Away, away, I love you like you've never felt the pain, away. I promise you don't don't have to be afraid." I started to harmonize. "The love you see is here to stay, so lay your head on me."

"Lay your head on me. 'Cause little do you know I, I love you till the sun dies." we both sang as the song came to a close.

I looked up at everyone they started to clap. I smiled and looked at Hayden.

He held his hand up and I high-fived it.

I then stood up and handed Hunter his guitar. "Thanks." I said.