Museum -» Chris Beck

Word Count: 1381

Warnings: Mild cursing.

Prompt: Chris takes your son and one of his friends to a space museum for a couple hours, while you get to spend the day with your youngest daughter. At the museum Chris gets to show off his skills a bit.

❁ ❁

"Hey, whoa, steady buddy." Chris chuckles as he takes the jug of milk from his son's little hands, "You're making a mess that mummy will have to clear up." He screws the cap back on the milk and hands a spoon to his son, who is just grinning from ear to ear as he scoops the Fruit-Loops into his mouth.

Chris pours himself a mug of coffee, grinning as he watches the small boy hum to himself and eats his colourful cereal. His life had changed, obviously, for the better but it still surprises him daily by how much everything had changed. Only five years ago he was up in Space, saving his dumbass best friend and now here he is, watching his son eat his breakfast. He had met you long before NASA and loved you ever since.

When he arrived home you had a little reunion, resulting in the birth of, Buzz Buchanan Beck. Chris got to name him, he was allowed to name the little star if it was a boy, although you were adamant it was a girl; you were very wrong. Four years later you got your own back, a little girl on the way and you were able to name her, Amber Lynn Beck. Buzz is just turning six and Amber is only a little over a year old, they both take after Chris, it's like living with three of him; it's tiring.

"I thought you two would be gone by now." You chuckle as you walk into the kitchen, a sulky Amber clinging to your blouse. Amber was a daddy's girl and she always knew when he was leaving, she'd be pouty and silent till he got back.

Chris shrugged, "Buzz wanted to make his own breakfast." He nods to the mess of cereal around the bowl and you sighed. "Look at this little pouty face." He takes Amber from you, her bottom lip trembles as he stares into her blue eyes. "Not gonna smile for me? You get to spend the WHOLE day with Mummy, how exciting is that?" Instead of answering, not that she can withhold a steady conversation, she lifts her little hand and pats his cheek lightly still pouting.

"Face it, Chris; she doesn't want you to leave." You smile, "She reminds me of the day you left me." You sighed dramatically and he rolled his eyes. "You two need to go, you still need to pick up Sam from his house and beat the traffic to the Museum." You take Amber back and he kisses her soft cheek, pouting at the fact she still hadn't smiled. "Go, you big nerd." Flicking the NASA baseball cap he wears, every day, all day.

"Rude, Mrs. Beck," He kisses your lips softly before helping Buzz off of the stool and into his own NASA jacket, you sighed lightly. "Don't miss us, Spacemen, too much!" Chris calls before shutting the front door.

You looked at Amber with a gentle sigh, she looks up at you. "Your dad and brother are nerds, you know that?" You asked, she cracked smiles at that, "Please, don't grow up to like space, anything but that. I need just one other that has no idea what all the constellations are." You plead softly before putting her in the Disney high chair.

Museum

If there was one thing that Chris, almost, loves more than you and his kids it's Space. He had experienced it for himself, he loved every minute of being up there with his team and he wouldn't have changed anything- well. You know, maybe Watney not almost dying. The fact he is able to share this love, this passion and knowledge with his kid, it's incredible. You knew Chris was secretly hoping that his son would love Astrology, like him when he was a boy. So, when the day came that Buzz expressed his love for it, well, Chris was ecstatic.

As an early Birthday treat, Chris decided to take Buzz to the Air & Space Museum, they had a little section about his Mission to Mars. Buzz insisted on his best friend tagging along; it gave Chris a chance to brag a little more, not that he'd admit to bragging.

His smile widened when both kid' faces light up upon entering. They're holding each other's hand, a buddy system thing they learned from school, and instantly run off in the direction of a big picture; the solar system. Chris has a hard time keeping up with the boys, trying to point out little facts that might interest them but they've already run off to another section by the time he's halfway through.

"Guys, you can't keep running off." He scolds lightly when he finally catches up to them. They're at the back of a small crowd of tourists, listening to a guide. His eyes catch... his own, he frowns but glances up, Ares III Mission. "Huh, you'll like this one." He nudges Buzz with a grin, who is intently listening and peeking through the crowd to see the screens.

Listening to the guide drone on, and on, and on about his mission was actually pretty boring. Especially when the guy was getting the facts all wrong, "Actually, it was 549 sols, so around 554 Earth days." Chris called out, he had done this three times already, and the guy looked at him irritably.

"How does your dad know so much about this?" Sam whisper/asked Buzz.    

"I said he was a Spaceman, he was there, I think." Buzz shrugged and looked at his dad, Chris' full attention on the guide and all the facts he was getting wrong, not wanting to miss any and call this idiot out.

The guide rolls his eyes. "So, NASA, devise a plan to send the Hermes back for Mark-"

"Wrong, again." Beck interrupts abruptly, Buzz and Sam, giggling from beside him. "They were originally going to bring us back if it wasn't for Henderson and Rich Purnell, we wouldn't have had the plans to go get Watney back. Once we voted, NASA didn't have a say," He shrugs from under his cap.

"And who are you?" The guide, named, Dylan, snapped.

Chris nods to his NASA I.D that's up, just under, Major Rick Martinez. He takes his cap off and awkwardly waves to the guide who is in full shock, confusion and embarrassment mode. He looked down at his son, who is laughing.

Chris spends the next twenty minutes answering questions from the small group, a few pictures too. Eyes keep going back to his son, who looks to be having the best time at watching people get excited over his dad. Buzz pulls Sam to the screens, reading through the team's profiles.

"I told you my dad is a Spaceman," Buzz says matter-of-factly.

Back Home

"Have a good time?" You asked as Buzz came running in and jumping on the sofa, he nodded, already pulling out the stuff Chris brought him from the gift shop. "Go get your sister; she'll want to see all this too." You grinned as Buzz got up, already calling Amber's name.

Chris sighed. "I heckled a tour guide today," he tells you brashly but you nod. "How do you know?"

"People were posting photos on Twitter, plus someone got a video. Watney has been texting me, he says 'Your husband, defending our honour... hot!' then a bunch of heart-eye emojis." Chris snorts with laughter, shaking his head but releasing a tired sigh. His spirit lifted when he sees Amber being helped walk in with Buzz.

As you sit on the floor listening to Buzz talk about his day, how Chris explained the solar system and listening to his Q&A about the Ares III mission, Chis laid down on the sofa with Amber on his chest. Petting her hair softly, humming the Star Wars theme, drifting between being awake and asleep; dreaming of the day that Amber will tag along to those museums.

❁ ❁