Grateful -» Chase Collins

Words: 1919

Warnings: None.

Prompt: You finally learn about the magic, but you're at a loss. Chase is having a difficult time explaining things with you - gone.

❁ ❁

Living in a small town where it rained constantly and everyone knew who was who generally never had its perks. The only time something exciting happened, was probably at Spenser's, when new kids arrived from across state.

So, for someone who had grown up in Ipswich all your life, you loved it when international or out-of-state students came to study at Spenser's.

And Chase Collins was no exception.

When he first arrived, you couldn't help but admire him from afar. He managed to fit in somehow, wearing big coats, the occasional scarf and cheeks slightly pale from the usually absent sun.

He had a gentle smile whenever he spoke with someone, stormy-grey eyes watching the person he was talking to so he was polite. The lopsided grin was your favourite, especially whenever he'd make a snippy comment or a sly observation.

It wasn't like you were constantly stalking him, watching him like some kind of foreigner or studying him like some kind of alien. It was more the fact that he was everywhere you were.

He was in every class, knew every library spot, had lunch in the same communal area, lived in the same hall; heck, he was even in the same shops as you.

It looked like the kid was stalking you, but you'd never seen him give you a side glance, or look at you. He was always either alone, or talking to someone. You felt like a wallflower.

Until one day, he approached you.

You couldn't remember exactly how it started, but you and Chase began talking. It started with small talk, whenever you'd see each other. Then small talk turned into conversations, finding common ground and interests.

In no time at all, you were both joined at the hip, purposefully seeking each other out. And then he asked you out on a date, and you'd been inseparable since.

You became Spenser wide known. Chase was obviously slightly more extraverted, so he'd talked to far more people in your school that you had. It was probably because of that, that you became famous.

You never thought you could find peace within the claustrophobic small town in Ipswich. And that's what Chase gave you, peace. He rarely surprised you, having always planned dates and the such with you beforehand.

Chase wasn't a spontaneous guy, he was always up front.

But he wasn't shy of a few secrets.

Because you'd both been dating for almost a year, you thought you knew everything about him. About his adoptive parents and how they died, how he met his father right before he died.

Chase's story was a sad one, but you didn't know the half of it.

You'd been out at the shops all day, having to get a few last-minute supplies before the new term started. It was one of the rare moments you'd go alone, usually accompanied by Chase.

But he'd called earlier that morning, telling you he was busy. You didn't think anything of it, so you went shopping anyway.

Chase wasn't one to sneak behind your back and become unfaithful. You returned to the dorms a few hours earlier than expected, some of your errands being postponed.

You were about to call your boyfriend, tell him that you had arrived early as you walked into your dorm. You were surprised to find him already in there.