Chionophobia

Tumblr prompt: Character A has always had a deep distrust for the snow, and takes extreme precaution when leaving their house when it's snowing. It's not that Character A is scared if slipping on ice, but they're scared of what the snow hides underneath it...monsters waiting to pull people into their soft, snowy drifts, never to be seen again.

Pairing: Vanii7y

When winter started coming around the corner, Lucas became more and more unsettled. He hated winter. Winter was the season that his imagination came in full force, and not in a good way. He imagined long, dead fingers scratching at his windows and door at night. And he couldn't escape, as winter in Canada caused snow to pile up to the door. He would be trapped, making it easy for whatever monster to break in and kill him.

One morning, when Lucas looked out of his window, he was met with a fright; snow covered the ground, and it was still snowing. Lucas felt as though his heart had stopped. His breathing became heavy as he started backing away from the window. He swallowed hard, watching as the snow continued to fall.

He had to call someone. Someone to get him out if this hellhole.

He felt a panic attack beginning, but he had to get to the phone immediately.

Tears pricked at his eyes as he rushed to the phone. He dialed a number, silently begging for them to pick up.

It went to voicemail, and Lucas began to panic even more. He felt as though he was about to throw up. "No no no no no, please pick up. You're not gone, they didn't get you yet. Please, pick up," he quietly pleaded under his breath as he dialed again.

On the third ring, the phone was answered. Lucas nearly laughed in relief, but one glance at the outside and he was scared again. "Evan, I need you to come over right now." He tried to keep his voice steady, but even as he tried as hard as he could, it still quivered.

One listen to Lucas' voice and Evan knew what was going on. "Lucas, close all curtains while you wait for me, and wrap up in something warm. You haven't changed the code to your house, right?" Lucas shook his head before he realized that Evan couldn't see him.

"No."

Evan let out a quiet sigh as he grabbed his jacket and keys. "Good. I'll be over in about 30 minutes. Stay safe, Lucas." Lucas' trembling hands dropped the phone onto the table. He quickly did as he was told, closing all curtains and wrapping up in a blanket. He sat on his couch with his eyes closed, waiting for Evan to come over.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

30 minutes felt like an eternity. Lucas almost thought that they had gotten Evan, and it somehow was getting colder in the room, even when he had grabbed multiple blankets.

He heard the door open, and he froze. They had somehow gotten smart enough to turn doorknobs, he knew it. He hid under the blankets like a child, squeezing his eyes shut and not daring to look. He heard footsteps, and he prayed that the thing didn't think he was anything. He heard a sigh, and the footsteps got closer. Lucas didn't dare to move; one small movement and he was dead. Well, he was probably dead anyways, but he could at least live a little longer.

He felt the blanket being moved away from him. This is it, he thought. I'm going to die here, and no one will know until winter is over. He felt tears begin to fall down his face.

But instead of death taking over him, he felt warm hands caress his face. Confused, Lucas finally peeked open one of his eyes.

Evan stood over him with a bit of a concerned look on his face. Lucas practically launched himself out of the blankets and into Evan's arms, sobbing loudly. "Oh my god Evan, I - I thought they got you! Don't scare me like that, you asshole!" He gripped onto Evan's shirt, his tears now staining the material. Evan sighed and rubbed Lucas' back.

"I was going to call you when I got here, but my phone died. I'm here now though, so don't worry."

Lucas' tears finally stopped. He sniffed and looked up at Evan as he wiped his face with his sleeve. "You're not gonna leave me, right?" he whispered.

Evan chuckled a little, "I can't; the snow blocked me in as soon as I got here. I'll be staying here until the snow goes away." Lucas didn't know whether to laugh or cry out of joy. Instead, he just buried his face into Evan's neck, never wanting to let go.