23. Why is she Here?

"N-nothing," I responded, averting my gaze and looking out the window.

"Hm," Emilia chuckled. "Then let us begin with the lesson for today."

As she began the lecture on Vilhemian history, I glanced back over at her. It would appear that she still took her job as a teacher quite seriously, judging off that focused expression on her face. Her style of teaching was...well...all she did was talk about the historical events as if she was telling a story. The thing is that the way she told the story made history appear quite interesting. It even captivated my interest in addition to the rest of the class.

"So five hundred years ago," Emilia lectured without looking at notes or anything. Instead, she gazed at me for some reason. "After the death of the first emperor Leshius I, who had no heir, the throne was entrusted to his lead advisor, Aerin Vilsein."

I glanced over at the other students in the classroom and discovered that they were listening attentively, taking notes as she spoke.

"It was Aerin Vilsein who continued Leshius's expansionist policy," Emilia continued. "He was able to double the size of the empire during his reign. It was also during his reign that Vilheim started to urbanize. Cities began being built, and the population grew due to years of good harvest."

The lesson continued on, and the whole period was spent on lecturing on history, with no alternative motives being present. Even when I attempted to read her body language, I was once again perplexed by that mysterious smile.

The bell rang once again, signaling the end of the period. Emilia took out her phone, checked the time, and nodded as she come to accord with the fat that class time was over.

"Alevian," she said, "come see me for a second."

I could hear sounds of mockery coming from the students who I had confronted earlier. From the corner of my eye, I glared at them with annoyance. I didn't expect this gesture to do anything; it was merely me expressing my disapproval at them. Seriously, these people are the people that I despise the most.

"Why are you here?" I approached Emilia, who was waiting for me by the door.

"I need to be able to monitor you," she responded with the usual mysterious smile.

"So why did you call me over here?" I asked, glancing around to make sure that no one could hear our conversation.

"You're not the best at socializing, are you?"

What the hell? Is it that obvious that she could tell like immediately?

"I would say it's because they don't know how to talk to others like me."

"Shifting the blame?"

She chuckled and her facial expression relaxed slightly. No longer was her eyes as obscure as before, and it was that moment when I truly realized that she's an ethereal being. Carved from perfection, her appearance seemed to fit every single criteria to be considered beautiful. That is to be expected as she is the creation of the Maker, but when a mortal like me comes face to face to such angelic being, it almost feels like a distant dream. That is the reason why I find myself captivated by that faint smile of hers that almost seemed to mock humanity for their ugliness, but at the same time bestowing her mercy.

"Is something the matter?" she gazed into my eyes with a confused look.

"N-nothing," I shifted my gaze away from her.

"So the main reason I called you over here is to just simply greet you," she said, "Nice to meet you, Alevian."

She reached outwards with her right hand, asking for a handshake. I glanced down at her hand and then back at her. I was confused as to why she opted to go with this gesture, but it was probably her attempts at peace with me. Therefore, with a nervous blush, I brought my right hand up to meet hers, which she shook with a smile on her face.