102. To the Battleground

I sat on my bed in my hotel room while the world around me remained silent with the only sound being audible was the muffled laughter and chattering of the students that walked by the door to my room. With a light on, I looked out the window of the room and at the nighttime city of Saroff. The view was inferior when compared to the one that I've gotten accustomed to in Palisia since Saroff lacked the numerous skyscrapers that lined the Palisian skyline. However, there was still a charm to this Saroff cityscape. There was this different vibe that this city gave me, one that was filled with an ancient and sacred feeling.

I looked at my phone, seeing that the time was getting late and slowly creeping into night. It was 10:30 P.M. At 11:00 P.M., that's when the rules forbid boys from visiting the girls. Therefore, if I want to complete this mission that Noah had assigned me, I must act soon.

I sighed as I mourned my foul luck, wondering what I had done in the past that warranted such punishment from the divines. This mission was one of the most challenging missions I've took part in. However, at least Noah was kinder than Ralus and his mission contained more flexibility. But does it though? I mean what's the difference between this mission and Ralus's when he wanted me to stay the night at a lover hotel with Loriana? I guess the lover hotel had a heavier implication and there's only certain things people do there. But staying the night in the room of two girls... that is still kinda suggestive.

I slowly got up from my bed and slipped my phone into the pockets of my sweat pants. I had changed out of my school uniform into a comfortable set of indoor clothing. Since the mandatory school events were over, we were no longer required to dress in our school uniforms. Therefore, that's another relaxing factor that further reinforced the idea that we were truly free since we were able to escape from the fetters that were our uniforms. However, that is for the normal students. As for me, I feel no ease even without my school uniform and felt as if there's something heavy in the air that made it difficult for me to breath. This mysterious atmosphere, I believe, must've been caused by this mission Noah had sent me.

I checked my attire in the bathroom mirror, making sure that what I was wearing was appropriate for what I was about to do. Don't get me wrong. I'm not about to go and expect a world of sex. I'm preparing myself for a night of awkwardness and looks of disgust.

I looked into the mirror, making sure that my hair had dried since I had showered not too long ago. Then, I made sure that my black long-sleeved shirt appeared in a tidy state. I then stared at myself in the mirror, gazing into my dry and hopeless eyes, perceiving the desperation and despair that seemed to roam in that deep abyss of my irises. In the mirror, I no longer saw Alevian Enzel. Instead, I saw the living corpse of myself. Even though I'm merely a shell of myself, my heart still beat in my chest and my chest itself moved slightly as my lungs expanded while I breathed in air.

With another sigh, I left my hotel room, allowing the door to fully close behind me so that it locked. Then, I started walking down the hallway with my destination being the elevators. As I walked down the hallway, I discovered that it was quite noisy as there were many people walking about, either returning from or leaving for an event with their friends. In addition, from the other side of some doors came the sound of chatting. However, among those that had an audible sound, some were of inappropriate noises as male and female partners performed a dance of love within the confines of their hotel rooms.

"Stupid ass couples," I muttered under my breath as I continued down the hallway. "While I'm here heading to purgatory they're there having fun..."

I mean it might not be couples that are going hard at it behind those closed doors. Rather, it might be prostitutes that people had called. But anyways, the concept is the same. I'm off to the guillotines while they're having fun and enjoying the lust that their young minds have.